Thread: Face Map, ink and paper

Map Face Map, ink and paper

This year I'm participating in Inktober for the first time, and that means I have to do a drawing in ink every day this month! Today my mind went to map-making and I wanted to see if I could make something like Tolkien's maps of Middle Earth.

Not feeling like drawing a generic stretch of land, I gave myself the extra challenge of the map having to resemble a face. I had to make some compromises to make it work, of course, and while all the rivers flow downhill the general shape and layout of the island is a little awkward - let's say it was created by a vain sorceress?

After I had finished the map on plain paper I also made an enhanced digital version.

I'd love to get some feedback on both versions! I've added a detailed view of the parchment creases because I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. If there's interest I can write down how to do that in a little tutorial, but I wouldn't be surprised if such a thing exists already

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facemap-bw.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	88492

Name:	facemap-colour.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	88493

Name:	facemap-detail.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	832.8 KB 
ID:	88494

This is a really interesting idea and you've brought the maps and portrait together quite well without compromising the other too much. Especially impressive is dealing with the creases on the parchment.

Also, your line weight judgement is good too by placing emphasis on the coastline, the face sort of pops out.

It might have been interesting if the mountain had a continuous ridge line. That would create a line for the brow and the bridge of the nose. Though this may alter the tolkein-esq mountains if that is what you are after.

I wonder if some tolkein text would be interesting. The Chin Hills. Forehead Plains. I joke, but there might be some way to introduce place names!

Otherwise, nice one!

That's some impressive job, it makes me think of this. I'm planning to do something a little bit similar so, your map will be of great inspiration !

Thanks, Shards! I definitely struggled a bit with the mountain ridges, unsure of how to best use them to shape the face. If I were to do it again in a more realistic style I would definitely make the nose one continuous ridge. For now I'm definitely done with it, though! Merging two such different things into one was a fun challenge.

Thank you, Thomrey! That map you linked is spectacular. Good luck making your own, I'm very curious to see how it will turn out