Thread: Sagittaria

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default Sagittaria

Sagittaria & Erebeth low-res.jpg

Nation in north Sammaea, south of the Gate of Erebeth. First colonised by Sagittaari exiles of Korachan in c. 15 RM. Led by the Knights-exile, they had been driven out of Korachan in 13 RM by the Archpotentate Malichar for their opposition of his reforms and worship of the so-called Asp God. They settled the land around the Gate of Erebeth and spread north and south from there. In 76 RM the region was gripped by civil war over attacks against Korachani trade and the nation. was sundered in two in 80 RM – Tahall in the N and Sagittaria in the south.

Sagittaria came to control trade across the Gate of Erebeth, growing wealthy under the leadership of the Knights-exile as it took on the role of link between the Inner Sea and the Sea of Serpents. But the appearance of the Merovichi Dynasty saw trade with the E dwindle as it focussed on the south-west instead. The nation grew incredibly wealthy from trading exotic goods from the Surrach east even as it looked to its past relations with Korachan with growing bitterness.

The Merovichi Dynasty was ousted by their own advisor who in 1567 RM became ruler, known as the Autocrat of Sagittaria. Leading a caste of sycophantic sorcerers, he allowed the largest of Sagittaria’s harbours to become landlocked as the Inner Sea retreated. The region stagnated and existed only to serve him and his allies.

In 2163 RM the Knights-exile were able to kill him and depose his followers, taking control and marrying into the remnants of the ancient merchant-houses in an effort to bring back stability to the region. The autocrats’ body was interred within a technarcane engine by his followers and hidden within the independant city of Sogossa.

With its inland sea (and all its harbours and ports) dry and its coastal farmlands barren, the region waned. Plague wracked the nation in 2758 RM, leaving it devastated. Forced into it by the followers of the Autocrat, the Knights-exile turned for help to the god–machine (later known as the Interminable One) whose religion has spread across their land. Under his direction, they were able to bring wealth back to Sagittaria, but they were slowly manipulated by the gods’ priests until they became his puppets.

Revolts in the western territories in 3122 RM over working conditions and the unjust redistribution of wealth led to all-out war by 3158 RM, that engulfed the west of the nation. The war ended when a Sagittarian shaper died the next year, taking most of the Sagittarian armies with it, allowing rebelling troops to secure much land. They called for a ceasefire, catching the Knights-exile off-guard. They agreed to the terms, and in 3159 RM the war was ended, with Izabal and surrounding cities – by then wasted by the war – breaking away from Sagittaria on condition that contact between the two remain peaceful.

By 3236 RM the rule of the Knights-exile was over, replaced by the sorcerer-priests of the Interminable One. The Knights-exile remained in small numbers guarding the merchants plying their trade along the Ivory Road.

The Interminable One remained a god to the people of Sagittaria, manipulating the desires of the sorcerers until in 3582 RM, when following an expensive deal brokered with the lhaus of Khalhat, a cloned artificial body was secured in which his soul could be interred. The Interminable One was reborn in flesh after nearly 1400-years of rule from within a machine. His rule became absolute, and none doubted his divinity.

But it was not to last. An earthquake destroyed the city of Keshel in 3612 RM during a ceremony of veneration, destroying the Interminable One and the city with him. Seeing the body of their god destroyed, and his life taken, the people lost faith in their god. The church and the sorcerers waned in strength. His closest agents were able to transfer his soul back into the ancient technarcane engine, but both engine and soul were damaged, leaving him twisted and weak, surviving in the hidden city of Sogassa.

The region fell into chaos after this and suffered under decades of war. By 3680 RM Sagittaria had split into as many as a half-dozen realms that by 3751 RM had coalesced into a democratic republic of headed by the house of Camaca, though the entirety of the east had splintered away, becoming known as Althea.

This is lovely vorropohaiah. I just adore atlas style maps and for me this is a great example. I haven't read the text properly but I shall sit with a coffee and study both one morning soon Thank you for posting this!

EDIT: Repped and rated 5*

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    This is lovely vorropohaiah. I just adore atlas style maps and for me this is a great example. I haven't read the text properly but I shall sit with a coffee and study both one morning soon Thank you for posting this!

EDIT: Repped and rated 5*
    thanks maybe you'll spot some typos. there's always tpyos