Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baelevar : Place of Guardians

Map Baelevar : Place of Guardians

Here's a map I just finished, it's for a private table top RPG party. It's part of a bigger world that's still to be mapped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final half.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	95524
    © Copyright - Thomas Rey - All rights reserved - 2017

To quote Max, "feel free to rate, rep or run away"

EDIT : I changed the file following Ilanthar's advice on the farmlands, thanks for that
    EDIT 2 : I thinned the Mountains linework following Barek's feedback, thanks
    Last edited by ThomasR; 05-09-2017 at 04:21 AM.

I really like the cross hatch shading on the banner. The whole map is beautiful, though I do get a feeling that your client may have decided to name rather a lot of details after the map was already mostly finished down at that southern tip.

Very nice and clean map, Thomas . I second mouse about the banner. The labelling is also very good.
    The crops are a bit too pale compared to the rest, imho.

Great map Tom. Variety of things in the map makes it very pleasant to see and you did awesome job wth the banner !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I really like the cross hatch shading on the banner. The whole map is beautiful, though I do get a feeling that your client may have decided to name rather a lot of details after the map was already mostly finished down at that southern tip.
    Thanks Mouse ! About the labels, I think it's more a matter of starting point than rush

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice and clean map, Thomas . I second mouse about the banner. The labelling is also very good.
    The crops are a bit too pale compared to the rest, imho.
    Thanks Julien I'm glad my labeling progressed, it was tough making them labels legible in such a small space. I tweaked the farmlands and edited the file in my first post, thanks for that and do not be so humble

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great map Tom. Variety of things in the map makes it very pleasant to see and you did awesome job wth the banner !
    Thanks Voolf, I wanted to use that banner for quite some time and it the client just happened to want one just like this one I'll have to do some more.

Very nice Thomas, great banner, and an overall good map. I would have made the mountains a bit less thick but thats just a minor personal thing.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Very nice Thomas, great banner, and an overall good map. I would have made the mountains a bit less thick but thats just a minor personal thing.

Cheers,
    Barek
    Vielen dank Barek ! You're certainly right about the mountains. I'll make a try to thin the ridges and might update the map, thanks for the idea And thanks for the compliments on the banner, I'm pretty satisfied with it too

You did a really great job on this Thomas! The linework is just outstanding. The subtle texture around the coast, the marshlands, the farmlands, grass texture, it's all very well done! And your style is getting more and more recognizable too!

Very attractive map. You've managed to create something that's quite heavily textured but doesn't overwhelm. I occasionally see black & white maps where there's just too much stuff. They're so busy, but nothing really stands out. I find my eyes jumping around not quite sure what to focus on. (This might just be me!) Either way, you've avoided that, so well done.

Agree with everyone else that the banner is awesome. I like the simple icons for towns, forts etc. too. They work very well with what you've created and they're clear and very easy to spot. I think if you'd gone for icons of buildings or towers, they'd get a bit lost. I love the coastal ripples too.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    You did a really great job on this Thomas! The linework is just outstanding. The subtle texture around the coast, the marshlands, the farmlands, grass texture, it's all very well done! And your style is getting more and more recognizable too!
    Thanks a lot Daniel !

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Very attractive map. You've managed to create something that's quite heavily textured but doesn't overwhelm. I occasionally see black & white maps where there's just too much stuff. They're so busy, but nothing really stands out. I find my eyes jumping around not quite sure what to focus on. (This might just be me!) Either way, you've avoided that, so well done.

Agree with everyone else that the banner is awesome. I like the simple icons for towns, forts etc. too. They work very well with what you've created and they're clear and very easy to spot. I think if you'd gone for icons of buildings or towers, they'd get a bit lost. I love the coastal ripples too.
    Thanks you very much for these compliments, kind lady It was indeed a challenge to make a legible map with all these features. The banner was I drawn manually and scanned, I'm planning to make some more as I guess they'll be pretty useful. I thought a second about figurative icons and discarded the idea immediately, with a map packed like this one, it would have been a mess to read. And to finish, I've been drawing more freely recently, second guessing myself less. I noticed it helps to work faster and gives more organic maps, hence the coastal ripples, thanks for noticing them, I'm very fond of that style for the ocean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast