Thread: A study in craft

Map A study in craft

Hello fellows,

I haven't got much free time these days but I had the chance to play a little bit with my old craft sketchpad. You can see an afternoon WIP below.

After tracing some coastlines with a bunch of microns, I took out my faithful white posca and tried my copics.

A.jpg B.jpg

I drew the compass on another sheet and added it to the map digitally :

C.jpg

I hit a bump in the road starting with the brightest color :

Echec côtes petit.jpg

So I finished the map with photoshop :

D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg G.jpg

And the final file here :

H.jpg

Many things do not work (starting with the absence of rivers) but it was fun to do. You're welcome to comment and critic.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like very much the texture of the paper... it must be quite challenging to draw on this kind of paper ?
    The map is a bit different from your style, but it "pops" out, with the colors of the forests !
    As you said, rivers are missing, but I like to watch the whole map, it makes a great picture !
    I find that looking closer makes it harder to understand, probably due to the lack of water

I like it too. Its got a rosy feel to it, despite the paper being quite grey.

The absence of rivers works in this case because the mountains are such small scale this is obviously a very very large continent, where only rivers of Amazonian proportions might be visible - and if it doesn't have an Amazon, then it doesn't have a river.

The colours are all very beautiful, though I would make the forest green quite a lot paler and less textured to match the rest of the textures a little better?

I really like what you did with the forests. And yeah, the paper texture is interesting .

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I like very much the texture of the paper... it must be quite challenging to draw on this kind of paper ?
    The map is a bit different from your style, but it "pops" out, with the colors of the forests !
    As you said, rivers are missing, but I like to watch the whole map, it makes a great picture !
    I find that looking closer makes it harder to understand, probably due to the lack of water
    Thanks Joel Drawing on craft is not that challenging, that's just a bit tough to add shades but it has a great plus : you can add light !
    It was a quick test, I wanted to work on craft again and play with copics but it was enlighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I like it too. Its got a rosy feel to it, despite the paper being quite grey.

The absence of rivers works in this case because the mountains are such small scale this is obviously a very very large continent, where only rivers of Amazonian proportions might be visible - and if it doesn't have an Amazon, then it doesn't have a river.

The colours are all very beautiful, though I would make the forest green quite a lot paler and less textured to match the rest of the textures a little better?
    Thanks Sue ! I wanted to play with different hues for the forests but I did not wanted to spend too much time on this one (I'm chasing time these days) but it was a good breather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I really like what you did with the forests. And yeah, the paper texture is interesting .
    Merci Julien The forests were a try, I'll need to refine it (I already used it on one of my bookmarks I guess) and playing with craft is a lot of fun but I have to use it better.