Thread: Understanding scales!

Banned User

Default Understanding scales!

Hey everyone. So I've been thinking about adding a scale to my map, but I've never done one before.

My map is roughly the size of europe, but I don't have much knowledge at all of distance or even what leagues actually means. I'm very fond of Max's maps and I'd like to be able to do something like this for my border:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	663.7 KB 
ID:	71597

If my map is the size of Europe, how could I describe it in the way that Max has? I'd also be very grateful if someone could link me to a tutorial on how to make the border using photoshop.

Here's my WIP:

Name:	Draft1.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	71596

Update: I stumbled upon a possible solution via a default pattern! However, the bottom is lighter than the top, though I think I can fix that. Still need to get a grip on the numbers, however.

Name:	Draft2.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	626.3 KB 
ID:	71602

Update 2: Realised that the negative space in between each bar isn't the same size so working on trying to create my own pattern but it doesn't seem to be working.

Name:	Untitled-1.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	983 Bytes 
ID:	71605
    Last edited by Sarithus; 03-13-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not sure to undrestand what you're exactly looking for but I use PS guide lines then draw the scale border following the guides. One method is to select areas needed, create a new layer set to multiply and filled in white and then apply a hand-drawn pattern in this layer. Hope that helps.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Not sure to undrestand what you're exactly looking for but I use PS guide lines then draw the scale border following the guides. One method is to select areas needed, create a new layer set to multiply and filled in white and then apply a hand-drawn pattern in this layer. Hope that helps.
    I'm not going to go with the bars all around the border anymore, but I would like to add a scale legend. Ulthui is roughly the size of europe, what numbers should I use?

Name:	Untitled-1.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	71621
    Last edited by Sarithus; 03-13-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Considering that the east-west distance is about 4000 km. And considering that the scale should be around 1/6 or 1/8 the size of the map.

The bar represent less than 666km at maximum (what a nice number)
    Then you need at least 3 bars if you want a good contrast between the dark and pale bars but you can have more. Some will go with just one bar with no division.

666/3=222 but we should use 200 because it's more convenient. They might use different numbering systems or units.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Considering that the east-west distance is about 4000 km. And considering that the scale should be around 1/6 or 1/8 the size of the map.

The bar represent less than 666km at maximum (what a nice number)
    Then you need at least 3 bars if you want a good contrast between the dark and pale bars but you can have more. Some will go with just one bar with no division.

666/3=222 but we should use 200 because it's more convenient. They might use different numbering systems or units.
    I'll be honest, maths is definitely not my strong point. I didn't understand most of that.

Are there other ways I can describe the size of my map? I just put a random number of square miles on my previous version which isn't the best option.

Blog Entries

continent are on planets

the first thing is to decide on the planets diameter

the Mean Radii of the Earth is " 6,371 Km" ( planets are "squished " it is called Oblateness )

a world 50% smaller would likely be dying by the time a civilization gets going
    and a world 2 times bigger will cause life to be very NON earth like and NON human
    so

-30% earth to +50% earth are a good starting point if earthlings are on it

lets say 7100 Km radii ( (2*r ) * pi ) = circumference = 44610.6 Km = 360 Degrees

so 44610.6/360

that is 123.9 Km in every degree of latitude and longitude

for borders the demarcation would normally be
    1 degree
    2 degrees
    5 degrees
    10 degrees
    or
    20 Degrees

for a single continent 5 or 10 degrees for marking lines of latitude/longitude
    a whole world 20 degrees would be good

so in the top map "league "
    ( is this the British "league " ? walking distance in 1 hour - about 3 English miles

so if your world has a LONG day there will be more miles in a league

it is 264 of your "leagues" wide or 792 miles
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---