Thread: Dolden - Thorpe or Hamlet - WIP

Guild Artisan

Default Dolden - Thorpe or Hamlet - WIP

I like little towns, thorpes or hamlits if you will. I like them a little scattered and not necessarily planned out, more sporadic as if the town grew as it lay. A gathering of houses, not too close, but not too far away. Safety in numbers but still recluse. I seem to have latched onto this simple parchment type style of late, trying to keep the parchment showing through the grass and the water as if the dye settled in.

As is everything, this look is an evolution. I tried to work on some little things, bringing in some shadows for elevation, something I didnt do in my Abberdale map, cutting some banks above the roadline and fading some shadows to show the rise up, etc. Some still need work, a little sloppy on some. Really pleased though with the trees this time around, especially the thicker woods. Having 4 different layers of trees and then shadows for each, I think gave depth to the forests.

I still want to work on my rivers and roads as I make more maps along this line and make them a little less stark, but not cross over to the realistic line either.

The muted brown rectangles are the buildings that will be put down in the coming days. Still working on the actual houses, while I do not have a problem using some brushes that are out there, I do like to make or adapt my own when I can(If time permits), that fit the style of the map I am going for.

For the most part this is pretty much done though, besides the houses, and their shadows, Title, and Compass and border and final story behind it. I don’t think I have ever put a compass on a map yet, but first time for everything. I think I want to add another bigger building up towards the top center there, above the 3 buildings in the center, and remove a tree down in the slope going up to the 3 buildings. Fighting the urge to add an elevation to the bottom part town on the map. It sort of screams for one, but with the row of trees along the road doesn’t seem to quite fit either. And I have a little cleaning to do on some of it as well.

All thoughts and comments are welcome, what works for you, what doesn't?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled0916.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	99317  

I think 1 bridge would be enough considering the low population in the area.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I think 1 bridge would be enough considering the low population in the area.
    lol, yeah, I meant to put that was one of my main issues, I got bridge happy. Then I try to convince myself that it was easier to build a bridge over a small river than go around. Two made some sense to me as it was originally two little settlements or gathering of houses, that eventually merged into 1.

Then when I really thought about it, not sure a fjord wouldn't be better altogether. Although I think I will do that one of my next maps.

Thanks for the input

Maybe there's a professional bridge-building operation headquartered here and they made several variant bridges as samples (and maybe practice when they were starting up)?

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Maybe there's a professional bridge-building operation headquartered here and they made several variant bridges as samples (and maybe practice when they were starting up)?
    home of the Bridge Building Festival

Guild Artisan

Got the houses in. Mostly pleased with them. Will post the house in the mapping symbols section. Also changed the color of the bridges so they wouldn't be so obtrusive.

Regarding the bridges, Originally had the left and the right ones in, and decided I needed one to connect the two sections. I actually like them, although probably not the most efficient use of town resources, lol. Still got the title, compass, etc to do(Better shading on the houses). Have to get them done quickly though, Bogie's challenge is calling me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolden.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	99393

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    home of the Bridge Building Festival
    A bridge building festival called "Get over it"?

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    A bridge building festival called "Get over it"?
    I like it.