Thread: The Ol' Introduction

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Default The Ol' Introduction

Greetings to all!

I have finally created an account after being a long time fan of this community.
    A few things about myself:
    I am a long time Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 player, and a long time fan of creative map making.
    I am excited to be apart of this great community, and to learn from the best.
    I have only recently begun creating my own Cartographic works, but I am eager to learn from any and all who are willing to teach.

I live in New York City, and work 6 days a week. So I do not know how much time I will be able to devote to the community, but I plan on being an active member.
    Look forward to meeting you all.

Capt.JH

Hello CaptainJohnHawk, welcome to this wonderful guild. I'm a noob too, so I feel just like you.

If you are working on a project, I couldn't recommend enough to open a WIP thread (in the correct section of the forum) to get feedback and improve it, it's helping me tremendously with my first serious project, more than I ever thought, and having the pros giving you advice and suggestions is a luxury and a great way to learn and get better with specific issues you can't solve on your own by reading.

So, have fun and learn a lot while doing so! Since you seem to know the site I guess you've already checked out the tutorials section, that on itself it's a great resource for almost anything you might need.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Thanks for the reply Groovey!

Thank you for the advice. I am practically living in the Tutorial sections here, reading anything and everything.
    I will have to organize my thoughts and actually start to get a map put together here.

One of my favorite resources I have found so far (Not sure if I found it on this website or not)
    is this: David Rumsey Historical Map Collection | The Collection
    It's a huge collection of historical maps from all over. I have been using it for ideas on styles and layouts.
    First map should be coming in the next couple of weeks!

Capt.JH

Why, that link leads to a lot of good. Don't know if it's found in the forum or not, but if it is I missed it, so thanks for leading me there. It'll be very helpful to me to decide what style I want for future regional maps I'd need to make out of my world map, once I'm finished with it, of course. Plus, the maps there are just gorgeous to look at just because really.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! It seems that you have already received the best advice that any new member can get so feel free to ask questions and post your projects. I'll be looking forward to seeing them.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.