Thread: Tharron Map - Looking for suggestions

Guild Novice

Wip Tharron Map - Looking for suggestions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LARGE Havorfell Grayscale.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	94712

I wanted to try to make the map in a grayscale type as I eventually want to publish this map along with a book I am writing.
    How should I go about adding different terrains on a map like this? I downloaded some really cool brushes from Deviantart but they look goofy when I put them on a colorless map.

Suggestions? I really need a Large "Tolkien style Lonely Mountain" beside a desert for one of my settings in the book.
    I also need a massive City that will house 10k people in a time when tribes and towns with a population of 100, or less, are the norm.
    Long mountain range...

As you can see there are several things the map needs. Unfortunately, I think I've been using GiMP for a week now.
    I really want to finish the map so I have a reference too look at for the book.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the map looks very cool so far. The outline is good, and the large bay is interesting.

I do have an idea about the icon problem, and I'm pretty new to the whole thing so take it with a HUGE grain of salt. I think that the brushes might look odd not so much because of lack of color as a clash of perspective styles. Two things make the map seem sort of 3D - the embossed coastline and the difference in textures between the land and ocean. Putting a flat drawn mountain on it probably looks a little bit jarring. I would maybe go with a simpler border for the land/sea - a simple outline hit with an inner glow for example. Then, if you stick with the paper texture you have for the land, I'd apply it to the whole map and make sure that it's over the top of your icons so that everything is pulled together cohesively.

There were a couple of really cool black and white maps in the finished maps section recently for inspiration. I particularly like these:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37565
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37621

Guild Novice

After looking at those two map, I see what you mean. I think I can go back and rework it and I'll have a new picture up soon.