Thread: Map of Greater Olympus (Feedback and Advice Apprecitated)

Default Map of Greater Olympus (Feedback and Advice Apprecitated)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke36byS.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	96250

Hi all,

Long time viewer first-time poster. I was hoping to get some feedback on the map I've created for my region in a game called Nationstate. More nations will be added as time goes on but I wanted to see if people had any advice on the aesthetics of the map as well as any critiques.

Hi jjreal!
    Nice map! Very cool and believable land shapes, and I like the colour scheme (except maybe the green, it's a bit hard to see against the sea).
    Maybe it would look nice with a parchment texture thrown over top, and a tad bit more to the border around the map.

Great job, and welcome to the guild!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Discuss

I love the feel of your map, jj– it reminds me of old geography textbooks I learned from as a kid. My only caveat is that some of the continent labels are a bit obscured by national borders. Even a few pixels in difference can help with legibility.

To what extent do you intend the final map(s) to be an accurate projection of the surface of a sphere?

I'm asking because, although the current map has 2:1 proportions and a square grid of latitude and longitude lines, both of which normally are used when creating an equirectangular map, it doesn't seem to have the distortions which that type of map has in regions closer to the poles. Of course, those distortions are relatively difficult to interpret visually if you're going to be using only the one map and the arctic regions are going to be important to its users.
    Selden

Here's what the current map looks like when drawn on a sphere in Celestia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greater_olympus.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	96255
    Selden

This looks already good and promising.

Cool idea to plot the map on a planet. I don't think I saw something like this before. If you want a Sci=Fi vibe you could add a space station or space ship in low orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerAndBrush View Post
    Cool idea to plot the map on a planet. I don't think I saw something like this before. If you want a Sci=Fi vibe you could add a space station or space ship in low orbit.
    I've posted images drawn by Celestia in several other threads where someone has provided a map using a simple-cylindrical projection.

Celestia makes it relatively easy to put your favorite spacecraft model(s) in orbit around a planet.
    Selden