Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Broken Kingdom

Default The Broken Kingdom

After a weekend of working on this off and on, I have finished the Broken Kingdom to my satisfaction. Reached out to my old players to get their feedback on locations and distances, heraldic devices and the feel of the map in regards to their memories of the long Pendragon homebrew campaign we ran. With this done, it's time to get to work on the book!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Kingdom & Heraldry -Med.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	9.46 MB 
ID:	128763

After some great constructive feedback on the Discord, here is a revised map with muted background and heraldry. I also lifted the colours somewhat for the landmass to bring things more into balance.

Thanks to Agent00Soul and Auke for their kind words and suggestions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Kingdom v3 med.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	9.36 MB 
ID:	128774

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Wow! I liked the first one but this is sooo much better. My skills with colors (or lack thereof) is clear here as I would never have guessed that it would have such a bit difference.

I think I actually prefer the first version, though the second does succeed in making the border less prominent, it feels a bit muddy to me. Still good, but not so much my tastes. My preferences may be shaped by my age, with my formative years in the 1980s, as America rediscovered that there were colors other than beige and avocado.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I think I actually prefer the first version, though the second does succeed in making the border less prominent, it feels a bit muddy to me. Still good, but not so much my tastes. My preferences may be shaped by my age, with my formative years in the 1980s, as America rediscovered that there were colors other than beige and avocado.
    Child of the 80's here too Rdanhenry! I like both versions, as they achieve different things for me. The first draws the eye to the heraldry, while the second has a more balanced feel that some folks find helps them take the whole thing in more. I'm also making up a political version that focuses just on the locations without the noise of the geography.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Wow! I liked the first one but this is sooo much better. My skills with colors (or lack thereof) is clear here as I would never have guessed that it would have such a bit difference.
    Thanks very much Arimel!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

A really nice job with the crests !
    And the campaign must have been really fascinating !

Thanks! The original campaign revolved around two brothers who found themselves on opposite sides of a civil war. One chose love and honour, the other duty and loyalty. The campaign closed out with a final battle at a place called Lyon's Crossing where the fate of the kingdom was decided.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

And each brother was a player ?

Correct. They started as squires and the best of friends, but as the campaign unfolded and their actions influenced the game the story itself drew them apart. So much of what I had written went out the door as each Player moved in different directions, it kept me creative and on my toes and the entire world grew as a result. Initially I only had the area around Wyverngate and the Fangs built out. The best moments came when the brothers would try to reconcile their differences, but inevitably the rift remained strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast