Thread: WIP Gangrene - Spelljammer

Wip WIP - Spelljammer Hammership

First, I have to start off by saying if the mods need to move this thread somewhere more appropriate please do. Apologies in advance if it shouldn't belong here.

Second, I'm not sure this even qualifies as a map but it is my latest "creation". My intent is to do a top down view as well which, will be more of a "map". I ran into a bit of roadblock on my last map Hangman Harbor and started playing around with my pen/tablet some more while I figure out how to remove said roadblock. Kicked around some different concepts, ideas. This is what I settled on...it's actually my second version. The first being much more "shark like". (The shark turned out great but didn't look good as a ship)

Quick Summary:
    Gangrene is a ship that was created by a player of mine back in 1991ish (whenever the Spelljammer Boxed Set came out). It's made appearances in the ongoing campaign over the years here and there. Recently I brought it back as a plot hook so figured why not see if I could bring it to life here. (???) Can't say I'm impressed with it at all and I'm not sure how much time I'll put into it...anyway, here it is. Thoughts?

Initial Draft

Gangrene v2a - lowres.png
    Last edited by ajrittler; 10-02-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Pretty cool looking ship and a nice start on it. Combined with a top down, it could make for a nice little study of the ship.

One thing I'd try to avoid though is mixing lines that very much have a hand-drawn look with lines that look more artificial, so if I were you I'd sketch over the railings, portholes, etc in the same sketchy style as the rest to keep it consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Pretty cool looking ship and a nice start on it. Combined with a top down, it could make for a nice little study of the ship.

One thing I'd try to avoid though is mixing lines that very much have a hand-drawn look with lines that look more artificial, so if I were you I'd sketch over the railings, portholes, etc in the same sketchy style as the rest to keep it consistent.
    hey, thanks for the feedback GLS!

My intent was to do both side and top down view of the ship, but I'm not sure how much time and effort I'll be putting into it. Initially it was just to be a quick side project while I figure out what I'm doing with my other map. Lately, I haven't had time to work on either.

I never thought about the mixed styles. Good point. If I get back to this (I'm sure I will at some point) I'll at minimum draw on the railings in an attempt to make it more consistent.

Thanks again!

Hey AJ

Looking good. Can't wait to see some of the top down plans

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey AJ

Looking good. Can't wait to see some of the top down plans
    It's coming for sure! I started the deck view last night. If I want to fit both on one canvas I've got to either re-think the size or scale the text down. We'll see. The one thing I will not do is re-draw the original Spelljammer Hammership deck, so I went in a different direction.