Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromeus - By Tiachren

Guild Novice

Map Chromeus - By Tiachren

Good Evening Everyone!

I am very new so I hope my formatting is okay. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to create a WIP thread as I made my map so I am just going to put it here.

I consider my map finished, but I would really appreciate anyones thought's and critiques incase I decide to make changes in the future.

Medium - Mostly krita (digital painting software) with watercolour and acrylic elements. Final touches in GNU manipulation Program (photo editor). Painted with a Huion tablet.

Ah what else? This was painted for a personal world-building project which I have been adding too over the past few years.

I love art and I am not good at writing so I figured attempting a big old map would be a good place to start.

Thanks Chromeus Final Map Small JPG.jpg

P.S I edited this so the map had my signature at the bottom.
    Last edited by Tiachren; 01-12-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I edited this post to reupload my map with a signature at the bottom.

I do like the painterly style of it. Way to jump in right out of the gate! Thanks for sharing and I hope to see more.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Very unique style here and yet still very recognizable! Great color choices!

Guild Novice

Thank you both! If anyone asks for it, in the future I will make a guide explaining my proccess so other people can incorporate it into their own styles perhaps.

I'll have to echo Arimel, this is certainly a very unique style. It has an almost dream-like look to it that I really enjoy, makes the whole place seem mysterious somehow. I enjoy the shape of your coastline as well. I look forward to seeing what you'll do next!

I am very new so I hope my formatting is okay.
    Perfectly okay as far as I can see, fear not Welcome to the Guild (if I haven't said that to you already)!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

WOW ! Very evocative style ! It feels to me that you applied abstract art to cartography and it is beautiful !

This style is absolutely gorgeous. But even the beautiful colours aside, the map itself is exceptionally well made, with just the right amount of details.

Guild Novice

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am not sure if I will do a completely new map but I will try a different rendition (maybe a more traditional ink and water colour version).

Also I plan to turn this into an interactive map using leaflet.js so I might do a more detailed version (eventually xD) and some icons to go with, which I will post to the forums.

Have a nice evening and cheers : )

Very nice painterly style! It makes me think at Loïc Muzy's work on the Lovecraft Dreamlands... which I love.
    And welcome!

That's really cool. It would be neat to see a map in this style that had a full set of icons, labels, borders, roads, and the whole shebang. I guess I will challenge you to come up with a style of iconography that matches the underlying painting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast