Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

Hello, there. I am an aspiring author, lover of role-playing games, and worldbuilder at heart. I currently have no map making experience to speak of, aside from a few scribbled, largely illegible - or so I've been told - world maps, so my main goal is to turn those drawings into a set of detailed, realistic maps covering every nook and cranny of my world that I can think of. I generally don't get too involved in forums, so I don't know how active I'll be here, but I'll likely be making maps for years to come, so I may very well be coming here often with questions.

Right now I do have a question about which map making software to use for my particular project, so I'll be posting that soon. It seems like the best place to post it is either in the General Discussion forum or the 'How Do I ???' forum. I'll post it under General Discussion, unless someone tells me that another forum is more appropriate.

So yeah, hi. Glad to be here and excited to take on a mapping project far more technical than I know how to handle and likely far, far more complicated than it needs to be.

Cheers!
    Brad

Guild Novice

Hi. I just joined too. Welcome.

I would've joined years ago but I never knew there was a Cartographers Guild.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild Brad!

I will be following your posts closely since I'm wondering about the software side. Can you scan and upload your work, i would be curious to see what you have started/finished! You have found the right forum, there is already some good members here could help you on your journey.

-darcycardinal

Oh, I like this place. I don't know that anyone's ever asked me to show them my work. I love sharing my worlds and stories, so yes, absolutely I'll post some of it here. I'll post a few maps on my next thread, since that's where I'll be talking about my project.
    Last edited by EpicBradley129; 07-04-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hi EpicBradley129. Welcome to the guild. Yes please, I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to see your work. While I don't comment too often I do still sneak around a lot and look at the many different things people are doing here on the guild. There are some amazing artists on here and people of many different backgrounds and levels of skill. Quite a few are willing to give advice and help you in any way they can. I've really enjoyed my time here learning from these fine folks and it never ceases to amaze me how non threatening this site is. On many other sites people criticize other's work and there seems to be a lot of politicking going on. That doesn't seem to happen here. People are genuinely nice to each other. That is one reason I keep coming back.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your work as well. If you are interested in looking at other peoples work you can always go to the threads that are all about works in progress. They are categorized by different types such as city maps, regional maps, underground maps, futuristic etc. There are also tutorials near the bottom that you should definitely check out if you are interested in how to make maps with Photoshop or Gimp. Then there are the monthly competitions where people challenge themselves to become better mappers by trying to stick to the rules of the challenge when making maps. This helps people to think outside what they would normally do to try to better themselves and they are quite fun.

So I hope you take advantage of all the guild has to offer. See you around the guild