Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brynehall - question on switching perspective

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Wip Brynehall - question on switching perspective

I'm working on a map of the large town/small city of Brynehall and would love some input on whether it looks okay to switch perspective from top-down to something else. I started with this doodle to get a basic feel for the town, both within in the walls and its immediate surroundings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brynehall doodled map.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	96310

Then I did an inked version, which I scanned in so that I can clean it up and work with it in Photoshop. What do you think about having everything top-down until I get to the castle and mountains? I drew a top-down version of those but, frankly, top-down mountains don't look very interesting and because this is a fantasy map, I don't feel the need to be ultra-realistic.

Name:	Brynehall city map.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	96311

Brynehall area map (still in draft form), so you can see the overall location of the town.

Attachment 96313

All input is welcome. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brynehall area map (weathered).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	96312  
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Actually if you look at earlier maps and especially medieval maps they mixed perspectives together all the time. So it actually works, especially if set in such a period. Second remember that the purpose of a map is to convey information, yes top down helps convey specific distances and directions excreta, but it does miss out on other things, in other words if mixing perspective conveys the information you want to get across in a superior manner, it is better to do so. At least that is my philosophy regarding the matter. I'm sure it drives some people up the wall though (although I'd consider that a plus too, since I'm that sort of person ).

Edit: if you browse through some of the maps here for instance: http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il

There is more resources like that sticky-ed in the resource and reference part of the forums.
    Last edited by Falconius; 06-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Awesome, thanks, Falconius! I love the Braun and Hogenberg style of maps and plan to do a map of Brynehall in that style. That's great link, though. The resource and reference part of the forums has been incredibly helpful, too. I could spend all day browsing through maps (but my employer wouldn't appreciate it).

Wip

Finally got around to updating my Brynehall town map. It's not final yet, but I need it for a D&D session this weekend and for now, it'll do.

Name:	Brynehall Town Map - Legend & Details.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	97263
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Wow that map is awesome.

Thank you, Falconius! =D I wanted to keep the colors simple for the game but I'll probably fancy it up a bit in a different version.

That is an interesting map

I am curious now, as to why you chose to do most of it in top view, but draw Brynhall Castle in side view?

There's nothing wrong with that, I hasten to add - I'm just really curious (and probably far too nosey for my own good!)

EDIT: Oh silly me! I jumped straight into the thread and didn't realise there were comments before your last one and Falconius's!

Sorry aeshidae - the question is already answered
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.

No worries, Mouse! I did give it another shot as a full top-down map but I'm not yet skilled enough with top-down mountains to make it work. I'm going to keep practicing, though. I'm also planning on doing a 3/4 perspective version (but I need practice on that, too).

You sound just like I did when I first started mapping

It takes a lot of effort to learn how to use a new style or perspective, but with that kind of enthusiasm you probably won't take as long as I did... er... am still doing

Just keep at it, and don't give up. Take breaks when you need them to replenish your drive, but never entirely give up, and you'll get there soon enough.

I'm probably telling you stuff you've already been told by others before me, but you might find Fantastic Maps a good source of 'how to' draw various things, like top down and ISO Mountain ranges - but don't make the mistake of trying to convert the map you are working on right now. Its a map with mixed perspectives, and that's what it rightly is. Its already got a style, and would only get messy if you tried to change it half way through. But if you want to do another version of the map with ISO or top down mountains, then Fantastic Maps is a really good place to start with the learning

I've been all over Fantastic Maps, the website, but somehow totally missed the YouTube channel. That's a fantastic (...ha) resource! There will definitely be other versions of this map, as well as maps of nearby villages. I appreciate the sage advice and will put it to good use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast