Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Map for a Videogame Pet Project

Default Looking for a Map for a Videogame Pet Project

Anybody here specialize in isometric goodness? I'm looking for something semi-3D, or mathematically just an imitation of 3D, like in old-school games. But my commission would be non-pixelated, smoother and high-def. Here's an old-school example of the type of map I want (this, but without pixelation). It's for a Mario Bros. style movement system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tact...W4Q7BJTW3f5pM:

I'm pretty flexible about price, within reason. Let me know if you're interested! Just reply here in the thread. Sorry about the lack of privacy, but I don't have PM privileges yet. <-- n00b

Hey Kreec
    Just a quick question. You want the map to be composed from cubes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Hey Kreec
    Just a quick question. You want the map to be composed from cubes ?
    Nah. Just regular isometric designs.

If it is regular isometric you want, you can look at my maps here, maybe you will find style you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    If it is regular isometric you want, you can look at my maps here, maybe you will find style you want.
    I don't see any samples that match my need. Do you have anything with isometric objects in it?

Ok. My turn to make a suggestion

I have no idea what you really want, and I can't help you directly because I don't own the software (which is a requirement for being able to sell/gift the product to others), but a method for producing 2D isometric icons to create something like a city can be done in Sketchup by viewing a real 3D Sketchup model in 'parallel projection' mode at approximately the right angle.

Here is a snapshot of a model I've only just started working on for Guild City (one of the many ongoing Guild community projects), in which you can see a straight street of flat roofed houses (untextured as yet) reproduced at opposite sides of the map. I'm hoping you can see that the parallel projection means that the 3 dimensions remain unaltered despite the bottom street being considerably closer to the camera than the far street at the top, and that the angles between horizontal and vertical remain unchanged throughout. I haven't got the camera angle absolutely spot on for true isometry, but adjusting the camera is as easy as pie.

Fake Isometry.jpg

If this is what you need, then all you need is Sketchup, and/or someone who owns the software (which is absolutely far too expensive to buy for a single project like this) to work with you

EDIT: I don't know what the pro version of Sketchup can produce, but the free version that I am using can export up to 9999 pixels square in a range of bitmap image types.
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-30-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Most of my world maps are isometric maps, if none of my works match the prespective you want, maybe someone else can help you. You could help by providing better exmples of what kind of map you need.

Cheers

Edit: Ninja'd by Mouse

Oh sorry Voolf!

I just type really fast, that's all

No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks, Mouse. This is precisely what I need, a map like this, with castles and towers and grain silos and trees and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast