Thread: WIP - Tybalds Hallow

Guild Novice

Default WIP - Tybalds Hallow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 - Tybalds Hallow.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1,010.7 KB 
ID:	71681

I'm struggling a bit with keeping the perspective consistent on maps such as this. Any tips with regards to fixing this flaw would be greatly appreciated! Or any other tips, for that matter 

Here's what I have so far regarding what's going on at this location:

What used to be a sleepy outpost of civilization, mostly getting by on barley, potatoes and sardines, have recently turned in to a busy commercial hub after a substantial silver ore was discovered in the hills just west of the mountains. Merchants, burglars, pimps and other middlemen are establishing shop in the small town named Tybalds Hallow, and the local sheriff Brigolda Twotooth is having a hard time keeping order.

Added to this, is the discovery of a strange phenomenon dubbed as the Earth Vortex, a slow churning maelstorm of earth and rocks grinding away at the lands in the north-west. A newly arrived adventuring party was sent up there to explore it, but have not been heard from.

As if this was not enough, the mill up by Beaver Falls was attacked two nights ago. The millers two daughters managed to escape, but the miller himself, good ole’ Markus, was killed in the hubbub. The attackers tried to burn the place down, but the building was saved by it’s old, sodden planks and a drizzle of rain. Who would want to do such a thing? And why?

Then there’s those new shipwrights Will and Son, ordering all that lumber. And the overly curious bard calling himself Han Xum. Is he trustworthy? And what of those extremely large hoof prints observed twice up in the crossroads? Yes, Brigolda Twotooth certainly has her hands full these days!

(Crosspost from by blog, over here, btw)

Hey Thomax. I only see one area that seems to have any problem with perspective, otherwise I'd say you did a great job with this.
    The area in the town, on the south side... the little cliff. On the north part of town it appears to drop down into town but on the south side it appears to drop down out of town.
    If you meant for it to drop down into town then you would not see the cliff lines on the south side.

other than that I'd say it was a nice compelling map.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Hey Thomax. I only see one area that seems to have any problem with perspective, otherwise I'd say you did a great job with this.
    The area in the town, on the south side... the little cliff. On the north part of town it appears to drop down into town but on the south side it appears to drop down out of town.
    If you meant for it to drop down into town then you would not see the cliff lines on the south side...
    I thought that was a town wall

You guys could be right. If it's a town wall then disregard my comment.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    You guys could be right. If it's a town wall then disregard my comment.
    You're exactly right, a palisade is what I was aiming for. But I absolutely see that it's a bit too similar to the coastal cliff drops, thus giving the eye a hard time to parse what is what.

Another oddity in this map, perspective-wise, is the mining area. When compared to the neighboring mountains, it seems to float a bit by its own. Sorta like the camera is angled from a lower viewpoint, if you see what I mean?

Thanks for the comments! This Cartographers Guild seems like a nice and friendly place to hang out
    Last edited by thomax; 03-15-2015 at 05:00 PM.

It is Thomax. Everyone is pretty much helpful and welcoming.
    I do see what you mean. I think the buildings are perhaps at a different perspective than the ones down in the town. Though maybe it is the cliff lines being longer that makes the cliff seem like it's at a different perspective. Perspective like this with land shapes can be tricky. But you are doing really well. There really isn't much off in this piece to me.

Cool concept for a regional campaign map. The hand drawn elements are quite charming. No criticisms from me.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I like it! I love hand drawn maps. The perspective isn't perfect but it doesn't bother me to much.

One thing that might be improved is that the boat and the island at the bottom direct the eye towards the town. The top part of the map doesnt attract the eye that much.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I think if you even just add a few more thin vertical lines to your town wall it will differentiate it from the cliffs and make it look like a bunch of pointy logs stuck in the ground. As to the perspective... I think that one of the major draws of hand-drawn maps is that they are absolutely not perfect. They have a feeling and an immediateness that is appealing. Rather than start getting all theoretical, I would suggest Leonard Koren's Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers which is just one of several books about this Japanese aesthetic. Or you could start with wikipedia's entry on Wabi-Sabi.

And then when people point out your mistakes you can just smile sagely and whisper "wabi-sabi..."

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 03-16-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added link to author's website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast