Thread: Tandriel

Default Tandriel

I found out one of my coworkers was working on some fantasy fiction, and since I didn't currently have any projects going on I volunteered to make a map for him. He's given me pretty much free reign to do what I want, as long as there's a prominent mountain near some water.

So here's the basic outline of Tandriel and a couple of other smaller landmasses. Coming up next are the mountains in question. I want to go for a hand-drawn look, but so far I haven't come up with anything I like yet. That, and I'm not quite certain where to put them...

Tandriel.jpg

This is a great start. I really appreciate your help with this project.

Nice start. I like the colours you've chosen.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Novice

Me gustan mucho los colores. Como consiguió esos colores? Usa ps?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice start. I like the colours you've chosen.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker87 View Post
    Me gustan mucho los colores. Como consiguió esos colores? Usa ps?
    Thanks for the reply! I hope Google translated this properly..

I used Photoshop to first lay down a parchment that Torstan made available quite some time ago. Then I filled a new layer with the blue and set the blending mode to multiply so the parchment shadows would show through. Lastly, I applied a mask of the land shape to the water layer to allow the natural color to come through for the land, and to make life a little easier when it comes to handling the rivers and lakes and such (I'll just have to draw them on the mask, and the water is already done).

I've noticed that there are some artifacts around the outline, so I'll have to go back and clean that up. Then I'll decide where I want the mountains and see if I can settle on a style I'm happy with.

I do appreciate any feedback anyone can give at any point in this project. Thanks in advance!

-IG

Hey IG, i like what you did so far! It's an interesting format and the landmass looks pretty good. Looking forward how this develops!