Thread: Abandoned Capryse (WIP)

Wip Abandoned Capryse (WIP)

So this is a map I created for a Mech Warrior game I'm currently running. This is a homebrew Dark Ages game, after the fall of the Clans, and Comm Star (for those of you who have played Mech Warrior or BattleTech). Capryse is a planet in the Outer Rims, along the corridor the Clans conquered during their invasion of the Inner Sphere. It was abandoned when the Inner Sphere beat the Clans back to their own home worlds, and finally defeated them.

My game takes place 300 years after the defeat of the Clans and the fall of CommStar. The Great Successor States have fallen due to the loss of the HPG system (Hyper Pulse Generator).

Capryse is currently uninhabited, although there are signs that a civilization once lived here.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capryse.07.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	699.8 KB 
ID:	99488
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Great looking 'come back' map

I like the little ruins, Storm. Which set do they come from?

Interesting idea with the reduced scale water near the land

actually, the ruins come from the basic cc3+, and Mike Schley's styles. I didn't want all of the ruins to be the same.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Its a very large symbol set

They go well with the Herwin Weilink overland style

The extent of those ruins would have made me interpret this as a map of island if you hadn't specified it was a world map, especially as the building style don't match the kind of extensive urban sprawl required if the ruins are to scale. The river split on the second largest body of land also suggests a larger scale map, where it might represent a reasonably sized river island.

Scale issues aside, I see real growth in your style and I think you have a very nice selection of colors to help unify this map. You are really getting the terrain types to blend into each other for smooth transitions, which seems to be one of the bigger challenges with CC maps.

Yes, I already know about the scale issue, it's going to take me a while to fix that. Part of the scaling differences are deliberate, but most of it isn't.

Part of the issue for me, is that these ruin symbols are for fantasy or classic buildings ie: castles, keeps, villages and what not.... buildings you would see in say the late 1400's to the early 1600's. What I need are ruins to represent a concrete jungle... sky scrapers, modern buildings that have fallen into ruins over the centuries for this game. I need futuristic, but there isn't really any call for those types of symbols. So I'm working with what I have, and using the scale to represent what I need. It's not really working, so I may need to come up with something else.

Of course, my players don't really care all that much... they just need the visual reference...
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Do players ever care? You aren't the first one I've ever heard saying things like that

What really matters, though, is that you clearly do care.

I'm saving up, Storm. I intend to buy Sketchup - just so I can render out my growing collection of ISO buildings and give them to other people (which you aren't allowed to do if you don't own a licence). When that happens I'll load up another freebie album, where you will be able to get as many modern buildings as you want

They will be in png format, so you can make your own symbol catalogues with them too.

However, that's not really going to be any help for quite a few months (Sketchup is horrendously expensive, but at least its not a monthly rental system). All I can suggest in the meantime is that you might try building a few in Perspectives if you have that add-on?

Tonnichiwa was working on some. I haven't heard from him in a while though.