Thread: Pirate Challenge: The Free Islands

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Pirate Challenge: The Free Islands

Here are the Free Islands, my April 2019 Challenge Map (Pirates). It's done with Faber Pitt pens on drawing paper, then scanned. No post-processing other than a slight white-balance after the scan. I left some gray in the paper so that the texture wouldn't be lost.

EDIT: I forgot to add: Drawing this map made me itch to DM a game in this spot, and that isn't an option for me. If anyone uses this map for their game (and you are absolutely free to do so), let me know how it goes!

Link to WIP thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip9.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	115205  
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Definitely one of the best traditional map I saw those last months, and a favorite to remember. You made an incredible work on it, Gidde !

Thank you so much MistyBeee

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to add: Drawing this map made me itch to DM a game in this spot, and that isn't an option for me. If anyone uses this map for their game (and you are absolutely free to do so), let me know how it goes!
    I might just have to do that. Had a crazy idea for a tiefling-centric pirate campaign, and this map would make a most excellent setting...

And by the way, FANTASTIC map. One of my faves this month.

Fantastic piece, you must have an developed quite a lot of patience to be able to finish all that stippling.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I might just have to do that. Had a crazy idea for a tiefling-centric pirate campaign, and this map would make a most excellent setting...

And by the way, FANTASTIC map. One of my faves this month.
    Thanks a ton, Diamond I hope you and your group have a great time if you do!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Fantastic piece, you must have an developed quite a lot of patience to be able to finish all that stippling.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    It's actually not that bad; practice makes it go easier and faster. Thanks for the kind words!

This one was my personal favorite from the challenge. Too bad I didn't get to the voting in time. At least I can keep going back to it for ideas. Great work!

I just noticed that east and west are reversed. It's a mirror image map! Is that some kind of clue?

My hand hurts just from looking at the dot pattern all over this map. How you had the patience to see this one through, I'll never know The lettering is top-notch and the relief look of the islands is just fantastic. It really has a nice balance to it layout wise, without being too crowded nor having empty dead space. This is a really great one!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This one was my personal favorite from the challenge. Too bad I didn't get to the voting in time. At least I can keep going back to it for ideas. Great work!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I just noticed that east and west are reversed. It's a mirror image map! Is that some kind of clue?
    My goodness, I did that again?!? I mean --- yes, it was a clue! That's the ticket ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    My hand hurts just from looking at the dot pattern all over this map. How you had the patience to see this one through, I'll never know The lettering is top-notch and the relief look of the islands is just fantastic. It really has a nice balance to it layout wise, without being too crowded nor having empty dead space. This is a really great one!
    Thank you so much! Actually the reversal of east and west and the patience come from the same place. I get in trouble for calling these doodles, but this style is something I can do with my hands while I learn things. Unfortunately, it seems I should not do any directional labeling while actively learning something else!