Thread: Please give your honest opinion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Please give your honest opinion

My 2 sisters says this map looks kind of like modern earth do you agree with them? any other comments or ideas are also welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't agree with them.
    Regards,

RK

The continents are laid out vaguely similar, but I'd have to say it's got more in common with a future Earth after many millions of years of continental drift. The Atlantic Ocean is only a sea, the Americas have merged, half of Africa has broken free and Siberia is underwater.

I like it. I can't agree with your sisters, though.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see where they would think that. It's close but different enough to be interesting.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Is it similar? Yes. See the example below:
    mapkingdoms copy.png

Is that a bad thing? No. As mentioned above, maybe it is Earth, and Alternate earth a few million years in the past, as can be seen in this link: http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b813/depts/...contenta1.html

Again, nothing wrong with a fantasy map looking reminiscent of our World. Afterall, the world of Hyborea (Conan the Barbarian's World) sure looks an awful lot like Africa/Middle East/Inda all smooshed together to me.

http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=...&aqi=&aql=&oq=
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

A simple solution would be to flip the map horizontally. I always find myself doodling things with similar land-mass placement to earth, just because it looks right. I always remedy it by just flipping the map horizontally or rotating it 180 degrees.

thanks for your replies i think i will keep this map and finish it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in agreement, definite similarities but it doesn't really look like earth - to step further away you could move "india" or like RE suggested, flip some elements or the whole map ... nice work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Ok. So I choose the earth-look-a-like side.
    The first time I saw your map, I thought It was an alternate earth map with accelerated continental drift :p