Thread: Banithia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Banithia

This map was mostly a challenge to myself. Firstly I wanted to make a map in a hand-drawn style without using any icons/brushes made by others. The other was to work with just one colour. I started out with black, but switched to white very quickly, which I think worked just as well, if not better.

I'm pretty happy with this, especially the mountains. This was my first time creating my own brushes and I think they turned out quite nice. The only thing not created by me is the background texture, for which the credit goes to coyotemax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definitely a cool look. Were the Ravenloft boxed set maps reversed out like this? Don't remember for sure but this sort of reminds me of them for some reason. Nice work!
    M

The only thing I would add is a light gaussian blur to take off the hard edges on the lines. Those always bother me for some reason :S.

Thanks for all the comments! I actually did do a gaussian blur around the shorelines, but not very strong, I found that blurring it more didn't really give the smoothness I was looking for, just made it more blurry . I'd have to check if I can find a method which makes the lines a little smoother, because I do see the problem.
    As for the 'different' background, I like the original version better. It's true that the lines don't 'pop' as much, but it feels more natural, like real paper.

Hmm ... I know what you mean. Gaussian can be quite hit-and-miss. Maybe a wand tool selection of the whites, 2 pixel reduction and some feathering or something ... anyway, a minor quibble for a cool map