Thread: Cooperative project revival

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I still disagree about deciding plots by dividing the map into a grid. It limits opportunity too much. Lets say you have an interesting feature that lands wrong in the grid and to map it you'd need three plots but you aren't really interest in the rest of that stuff, then all of the sudden it's more of a chore than something fun. Second it locks in the scale of the map, all maps will cover the exact same area without reason. Some maps might be better off covering 200 km's and some might be better covering 500 kms or 800 kms. Allowing people to define their own plots only causes a problem in cases of overlap. Even that doesn't bother me so much due to reasonable expectation that map makers often had discrepancies. It can make things interesting. We might consider some limitations such as maybe having the initial plot choice center around points and limiting the size of area that can be mapped so that they don't overlap, but in that area you can map what you choose you don't have to map the whole thing just what you are interested in doing. Once that map is done the plot point opens up again and someone else can continue keeping in concert with already completed maps.

For example. I choose plot point AB I'm allowed to make a map of anything in an area 1000 km's around that point with a defined area of lets say maximum size of 500 kms square and which can't exceed the boundaries of AB.

In my diagram here some one has chosen the point AB for their map plot. In the area available to them the decided to map a rectangle within the allowed restrictions for that area. Once that is done being mapped point AB opens back up so someone can map in that area again. The guy who chose point CB however didn't want to map the interior of the land just the coast, so he defined his map differently. Once he is done mapping the coast CB will open up again and someone can map that interior if they feel like it, they can even overlap onto his map as long as they retain his information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pointplot example.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	59094