Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kirkspencer View Post
    fwiw I prefer not using 'because magic' for most basic stuff. I include the line because, well the thing is that if you presume magic exists for your world it will have an impact. It's a corollary of magic and sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable. You gave a couple of cases. Less world-changing, farmers would kill for someone who could predict the weather for the next few days, and if they can bring or stop the rains? And so on and so forth. But I digress.

Bottom line I have no personal problem in fantasy worlds of whatever the designer wants. If he's going for 'realistic' then it depends on a lot of elements of which magic is neither most nor least significant. And even there, the 'experts' disagree what the maximum should be. (70 or 140 at England's peak pre-plague?)

Oh yeah, I didn't get the impression you thought it was the best option (or even necessarily a good one) - you did put it in brackets after some more "natural" possibilities after all!

Powerful magic would definitely have some effect on the world, I was just trying to say that I dislike it when the only effect is limited to a certain thing, without any reference to the consequences, because when that happens it usually breaks the illusion for me. When the consequences are included, like my example above, it makes the created world fascinating, and can really connect the fantastic aspects to how they would really affect things.
    Last edited by Raptori; 03-24-2014 at 04:16 PM.