I am planning to spend some hobby time, in the coming weeks, working on a map I have in the back burner. It started out as fooling around with textures and brushes to mimic a late rennaissance look, but with no ambition to make it a complete piece. However, I took interest in it again recently, but I am struggling with a few things - composition, fonts, etc. And that's why I'm sharing it at such an early stage - I need advice from you experts.

But first, let me show where I am at:
WIP_HistoricalKane_composition.jpg
This is the full size, as to show composition. It will take a border, cartouche and the whole lot, but I didn't quite devote time to think about those... Any suggestions?
The map is obviously about the Kane Empire, but my original file goes a little larger than this, so I can crop it again, farther or closer to Kane's borders, or even neglecting the islands - anything goes.

WIP_HistoricalKane_detail.jpg
This higher resolution goes to show the size and kind of fonts I am using, as well as the linework on mountains and rivers (and trees). Mountains and trees are done using plain brushes as they are there since my initial sketches and I really have no drawing ability. A lot of rivers aren't still drawn, and most of the labelling is incomplete (I reckon I will have to invent hundreds of words) - for now, I think I am still "testing the style".
But I am mostly struggling with the fonts. It's not that I completely dislike my choices, it's just that it looks too neat. I want to "age" it in the end, but I haven't yet made my mind about what kind of font/effect I should apply. Also, the coloring of the borders isn't as perfect as I would like it, suggestions also welcome for that...
In reality, any comments, on any issue, are very very welcome!

Lastly, let me show what I used as a model to start with:
Reference_style_2.jpg
This is a Russian Atlas from 1745, as seen at David Rumsey's Collection. Maps of this age are filled with labeling and have very fine linework - those are the key characteristics I want to achieve with this, but I feel I am pretty far, and your guidance could probably save me tons of hours of experiments.

Many thanks folks, for reading the post and for all the pointers you can provide.