Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
Thanks for the smudge tip. I will try it and report the results since I have the GIMP installed here.

For your information, it seems that some of the CC3 programers have heard your complaints about the symbols not blending in the background: many symbols come now in a multi-sheet version, with the outline and the color fill sitting on different sheets. This allows to keep the outline sharp and to add a blur on the fill to make a smoother transition with the background (see an extreme example below). Unfortunately I was not aware of this when I did this first map and I used the single-sheet symbols...

Your smudge tool still seems the more flexible option as I understand I can pick the areas that I want to modify, instead of applying the effect on the whole sheet.
Your welcome. As I said, I REALLY like your map, my comments were more pointed at the tool as a whole. Note, you could just as easily use only the blur tool within GIMP to get the bluring... but I like the smudge tool(followed by a blur) so I can move colors around a bit and make each symbol look a bit more unique when compared to others of the same symbol.

As you said, at least CC devs have some thoughts behind this, but it's not always wanted to blur all around the symbol when you just want to blur the bottom edge....