Sorry - I missed this. Yes - the world is generated in FT, with significant editing of the plain fractal shape. It needed plains to go along with those nice jagged mountains. I also went to the trouble to figure a little of climatic effects like rain shadows, and manually modded the rainfall to suit. But it doesn't take into account the subsequent detailed climate analysis work we did -- we were too impatient to Get Something Useable In Place :-).

I don't have my FT at hand now, but seems like in the color & lighting dialog there's a place to enter how many altitude bands one wants. Hint - don't type in something like "12", else as you enter the first character it'll go to ONE band, only jumping to twelve as you hit the second digit. Instead, type a 12 in a text editor, copy and paste into the field, and it'll jump to the desired number immediately. For instance, you can select four bands, manually color those four - possible since the eyedropper pointer can select one of four, reliably. Then when you boost it to a higher number i think I remember it interpolating colors in between the ones you manually set.

"as many as you can select among singly" means that if you get up into 20-30 -more bands, it'll start to get hard to select the right one at a time to set a color on. At fifty or eighty, where a single band next to sea level would look decent as a coast outline, the bands in the color selector panel are just a few pixels wide, and mediocre mouse control will drive you nuts trying to click the RIGHT one.