Thread: [WIP] Narridia, Revisited

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    (We really need to rope some other people into this thread, because it's actually a very beautiful and clean vector map you're producing here )

I think you've hit it pretty perfectly on the head with the smaller mountains ... it suddenly feels much bigger than before. A thing to consider is that mountains tend to form in lines (ranges) where the earth's crust buckles at tectonic boundaries. Now, for the kind of representation you have (basically: "here be mountainous and rough terrain"), you don't need to bother with indicating ranges (IMO) ... but you should think about what happens when those ranges hit the sea. The mountains don't end at the sea - they turn into islands, seamounts, underwater ridges and, often, accompanying marine trenches. I would expect at least the southern mountains to continue a bit further to the sides (east and west) with a few small islands or crags.
    Lukc, I took your advice and created a few extra islands on the southern half of the continent. I did some long narrow ones on the southern edge of that continent, and on the southernmost cove I added three islands as well, turning the cove into almost a bowl. I was very busy yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to respond, but I'll do so once I get home later today. I thought about putting a few more on the SW edge of that same continent, but then the islands I'd add would end up going under the legend. I didn't see much a point to do islands that you couldn't see. If I ever revise the legend again, then I might go ahead and add them in.

I was looking at some other threads, and one of them involved placing tectonic place to help decide where mountains would logically form. I'll be honest, I never thought of that myself ... should I do something like that? In the future, I planned to place some lakes and other geographical features, such as swamps, forests, and hills, but I'm having a heck of a time getting things to look right.

Edit: Updated WIP with islands added in.

narridia-with-islands.png
    Last edited by the-golem; 02-13-2012 at 11:34 PM.