Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
The reason the climates run from left to right rather than up and down is because the world is flat and the sun is a burning disk being hauled by flaming titans. It used to traverse the sky across the diametre of the world, but after an ancient civilization attempted to catch it and accidentally dropped one of the titans onto the ground, the sun changed its course and now runs sort of tangentially across the right side of the map. Hope it ended up reasonably adapted!
Whoa. A flat world ... a burning disk ... flaming titans ... That's a quirky setting you're working at :-)

First of all: I'm not a climate expert, just had to deal with the same issues than everyone when making maps. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. You've been warned :-)

I'd start placing mountains before climate. Whatever the wind patterns, mountains are very important in defining the climate of a region, and you should start there. Of course, maybe you already have a few ideas of what climates you want; and if so, you should just put the mountains in the places that would favor those climates.

A tricky thing will be winds. Winds on earth are caused by difference of pressure and the coriolis effect, which has no meaning in your world because it doesn't rotate. Random winds are not, in my humble opinion, very cool. So I'd just go for some pattern, any pattern, using whatever motive fits into your world.

Having winds and mountains, climate will follow.