Hi. I wanted to share my first attempt at using GIMP to create a map.

I downloaded it yesterday and found a few tutorials online for photo manipulation, but wanted to turn my hand to some degree of mapping today (after all, that is the reason I wanted it!). More tutorials ... and the attached is what I ended up with.

Its a map of a kingdom/region/country that has been in my head for many years. I went so far back then as to sketch out a rough map with ink and coloured pencil, and this scanned was the basis for the map here. I downloaded the 'Tolkein-esque' brush selection and a pre-rendered background and, after a couple of false starts, this is where I got to ....

ereira002.jpg

001.jpgereira002.jpg

You'll notice the lack of labels ... compass rose ... any kind of real perspective ... The first gave me some real issue (despite the otherwise-excellent tuts hereabouts - user error lol), and I want to render my own compass but not ready to attempt that quite yet. The last ... well, I guess that'll improve in time!

It was a conscious decision not to colour the various landforms in any way. But I couldn't give you any kind of proper justification as to why!

Dom