Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Blog Entries

Thanks Vellum ! Like Monks said really - its like reaching a plateau and then taking a breath before staring at the next precipice. You gotta look around and stare back at the view from time to time but this is not the summit. Even where we are I would not have predicted that we would get to. But with the addition of outerra it was like being given a boost so that we just had to get this integrated. From my point of view I merely write the glue that connects Monk's work to Outerras work both left and right of me look pretty amazing and I would have not said that either were possible with a few guys and home PCs but they have. There are some 3D models of Minas Tirith which are so good you would also say its not possible until you see them so I hope to persuade them to come to the party.

Do you have a plan for curating models as they are added to the world? Are there any markers or anything of the sort in place to indicate where various places are supposed to go? I might be willing to contribute a few models here and there. Nothing on the scale of one of the major cities, but I could probably do something like Weathertop or Tom Bombadil's house or the tower at Cirith Ungol.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

We haven't talked much about it as we have been busy on this terrain thing first but the way I see it happening is that somewhere on some web site - either medem or Outerra we would have a set of models that we could import into the world. I would guess that we could have multiple models of any type and people would be able to choose which one they like. I suspect that one model will dominate and become a de facto standard for that place and people would add more detail to it.

We do know that Outerra supports some variant of the Collada format so that means that sketchup models are in. I also know that those guys use Blender so I would imagine that its at least a compatible collada format with blenders export. SKU sketchup files are also zipped collada so that doesnt seem to be a problem. Now I don't know about colour, textures and object grouping parameters and how much of that is supported or whether there are any restrictions on it. As you can tell I haven't personally tried to import any kind of model into the app yet tho.

In terms of which models I think for the bigger stuff it is probably a good idea not to try any of them at this point because we know some of them have been covered by other people and we may be able to persuade some of these people to move their model into the world themselves. I would foresee that Minas Tirith, and one or two of the towers would have been done by somebody somewhere already. We just have to find them.

Personally I think it would be fun to model Bree since its a collections of early medieval houses so we can model them one at a time and not have to get too hung up on their exact shape and layouts too early. Weathertop would sound fun and a very useful addition to the site especially as we could them model the terrain around it and immediately under it to make it fit.

The Tower at Cirith Ungol is also a very useful place to have done. We had reserved a gap in the mountains of Ephel Duath tho I know its been adjusted about a bit since then. I need to check its still there but I am sure that Monks considered it in that area.

So yes please whatever you can manage. Those places that are known but not especially central to the books are particularly welcome since I'm guessing they are not likely to be in existence by anybody in any form yet.

But its true that we could do with making up a list and working out what we can already get hold of and what we probably want to see in the far flung future and also prioritize it so that at least the central places from the stories are at least marked up on the map. Outerra already has some kind of teleport to listed locations and we have to generate that list.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

AAAAARGGGG!!!!!!!

It Finally is available and what does Nortons do with the data set once I get it downloaded.....POPS UP A RED FLAG!!!!!!!!! "this file is New (less than a week old), This file has few users (less than 5) and comes from an unknown site." and promptly dumps the file into quarantine and DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO RESTORE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Computer Gods HATE me. Time to eat some worms.... One of these days I will be able to use it.......'til then I can but dream....

On the bright d=side, It IS out so all I can say is CONGRATS to Monks and Redrobes, and may it grow beyond your wildest dreams and Reps AWAY...if I can yet
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Korash, when we release the next versi0on (weeks) can you kick Norton to the kerb, and install it? I don't know much about this, but could renaming the download file, and then deactivating Norton help? If it might help we can always try set up another file for you on say GoogleDrive.

monks

Midgardsormr, Robes basically said it. And to see Weathertop..or any of those places would be really cool. I can easily drop a Wethertop in there in the next build. Yes, I did create a valley for Cirith Ungol, but not much more thasn that.

monks

Quote Originally Posted by monks View Post
    Korash, when we release the next versi0on (weeks) can you kick Norton to the kerb, and install it? I don't know much about this, but could renaming the download file, and then deactivating Norton help? If it might help we can always try set up another file for you on say GoogleDrive.

monks
    I did some looking (amid many a sob ) at what the Nortons Reputau=ion scan thiny does, and it seems that when ever you down load something, it does a check against the "Norton Community" to see how many people have downloaded it, how new it is, what kind of comments they have on file and the source site. Seeing as this is BRAND NEW (yeeesh) Nortons has never heard of it (DUUUH!!) so as far as Reputaion is concerned it is BAAAAAD!!. Usually when it doesn't like something it just puts it in Quaranteen where it USUALLY gives you the option to restore it and tell the prog that "this file is okay". Being SO new, it must be REALLY bad because it didn't give those options, just dump it or report it....

Now is that stupid or what???!!

They do however have a whay that Sotftware Providers can "speed up the White Listing process", but I think there might be some sort of charge. Not sure why I think that, but I just do.

I also found out that all this ****e happens as long as I have repscan on (it runs with all scans and in the background) it will just dump the files until it likes the Rep status. I knew about the Repscan, but not how aggressive it could get. I like its intent, but not when it goes THIS far.....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Hi guys. I've looked in on this before but just caught myself up on all of your work. Very nice stuff! Congratulations on getting it released and I look forward to seeing how it develops.

I've got some 3D modeling/texturing skills and would be very interested in participating to some degree when you're ready for buildings or other constructed features. I'd leave the really big stuff to the pros or the folks who have already built the models (like that amazing Minas Tirith project) but I'd like to contribute something if I can. Will try to follow this thread to see when you post a list of needed items and technical specs.
    M

Korash, would another renamed demo help? I can speak to Cameni to see if that might work for you. You'd have to turn off repscan though in the meantime until you'd installed it. I'd be able to put it on my googledrive. That's why I don't run antivirus here- probably equally stupid but it's never been disastrous yet -touch wood.

That sounds great mearrin69...we'll keep you all posted! I've drawn up a quick list of sites that need modelling. The obvious ones from the books. There's also lots of other useful things that could be modelled too- such as "generic" buildings such as dwellings, towers, forts, roads/tracks, sign posts, milestones, etc.

monks

Thanks monks, but first I think I will try again later with the repscan off, and see where that goes. If that works I will be contacting Nortons to give them an earfull about how stipid this situation is.....and I will keep you guys posted.

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast