Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lines Off set - Parallel in Photoshop

Here You go Chashio . My skills in communication are a little rusty so if I missed something or you have questions let me know ! There are other settings within the style you can play with but this does the bulk of the work.

Coastal lines.png

Saving Style.png
    Last edited by lostatsea; 04-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

It looks easy enough but I think I'm incapable of easy things so late at night. I got a solid bar instead of separated lines, so I messed it up somewhere. After a bit of fiddling, I did figure out that you can do a similar thing using the Outer Glow. Made a short tutorial. I'm tired. In fact, I'm really really tired. I'm going to bed.

But thank you for the tutorial! Even though I'm completely inept, I did learn something!

Tutorial - Fading parallel Coastal Lines w OuterGlow.jpg
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Chashio Perhaps you had the range % to low in step 5. Also if the size value in step 3 " size equals spread " is too small then they will all be clumped together. I like the fade effect your technique gives so maybe a combination of the two techniques might yield a better outcome. As stated there are many tweaks to get the details. Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place .

Thanks! That's probably what I did. I'll try it again later.

I hope my tutorial made sense. I was trying to fit everything into that little blue space (I was tired, so naturally I made it more difficult for myself than necessary) and it may have become overly cryptic. One should be able to do the fading effect with yours, too, theoretically; they both use the contour box to adjust the lines.

Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place
    It would be horrible if it didn't.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

@Chashio: used this to lovely effect in this months challenge. It had never occurred to me to use the contours in such a way - such are the wonders of photoshop!

Chashio Yep I went over your tute and sure enough the diminishing height of the peaks also creates a FADE effect on my bevel method . Thanks for the tip. I like the fade effect alot. "Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place " Sometimes this is good and sometimes it gets you lost for awhile.

@lostatsea: What's wrong with lost?!

@vorropohaiah: Oh nice! I'm glad you found it useful, and coherent; I put orange juice in my coffee this morning.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

whoa there alots of ways here o.o

Here i still cannot edit the style of the line. its just some fade. Like if i want a doted path? Can i do it?

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Here You go Chashio . My skills in communication are a little rusty so if I missed something or you have questions let me know ! There are other settings within the style you can play with but this does the bulk of the work.

Coastal lines.png

Saving Style.png
    This is nice but looks like stairs

Both ways i can edit manualy, like erasing, but still not get the way to change the shape of the line

:'(

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    Here i still cannot edit the style of the line. its just some fade. Like if i want a doted path? Can i do it?
    I will try to come up with something besides tracing each line with your favorite brush... which I do on occasion. Not wholly fun. You could make the effect a layer (right-click effect in layer panel and click: Make Layer) which will put it on its own layer below the one it was affecting. Then you can create a layer mask for it and fill that with textures or patterns or just scuff it up manually with a grungy brush. I'll think on it.

Here's an example of using a pattern fill on a mask to affect the style of the coastal lines... this example shows one of the actions I posted earlier, before and after I apply the mask to the layer.

Masking to affect the style of coastal lines on maps - Before.jpg Masking to affect the style of coastal lines on maps - After.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast