Thread: Styletest: 19th century historical map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It took me ages to come up with a way that worked for me. These Brockhaus scans have been sitting on my HD forever, and I couldn't find a way to replicate this irregular hatching for the borders (or the sea).

(Note to all: if someone would present a simpler way than I finally did... don't be shy!)

So this is what I did:
    The base texture for the borders is rendered in Blender. Basically it is a striped (wave: band) texture, slightly distorted and modified with some noise, then rendered to the size I needed.

workflow1.jpg

In my current work, I already merged down the outer narrow borders and the inner striped borders, so that I cannot colourize them independently any more. That was really really stupid.

But you always learn something, don't you?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    So this is what I did:
    The base texture for the borders is rendered in Blender. Basically it is a striped (wave: band) texture, slightly distorted and modified with some noise, then rendered to the size I needed.

workflow1.jpg
    This is very similar to what I had in mind for my current personal project, including the striped texture, and the execution is quite similar - so either its the most efficient way or we're both time-waters

Also, where did you get that pattern from as I've been looking for something along those lines for ages
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 02-28-2014 at 01:26 AM.