Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
That's cool! Interesting effect on the coastline, and I like the gray. And there are worse sources of inspiration
Thanks! I'm actually going to change it to a tan colour, since the paper they'd use would be hemp based.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
Are you planning to change your entire world in this style? Or is it an additionnal map of a different kind? I'm just curious

It looks good anyway!
It's an additional map, this one is supposed to be in-world - one of the main characters' mother is a cartographer in the current outline, so it'd be one she made

The main map I've been working on so far is more to help me plan the history and to give me a better feel for the climate and biomes in different areas. I'm gonna make this new map first though since I've got some specific ideas for one of the civilisations in this area. I'll position the cities first, then the rivers, then the mountains, rather than the other way round. For the rest of the map I'd do it the right way round and then develop the cultures afterwards, but in this case I already know what I want to be there

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
Seems you're off to a good start. The effect on the coastline could be interesting though on some parts it looks a bit too dirty.
Funnily enough I had just been fixing that!

New version below, this time with a Lambert Conformal Conic projection, which fixes the main problem I had with the first version. I also changed the graticules to every 6 degrees, both because they look better that way and because the culture the map would be intended for uses a base 12 number system. The style is a little bit closer to where I want it - nicer coast both in terms of lines and effect, slightly improved paper texture, and colour closer to that of hemp paper. For some reason it looks bright yellow on my smaller monitor and completely desaturated greyscale on my main monitor. Might be a good idea to calibrate them somehow... which does it look like to everyone else?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lambert-conformal-conic.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	62535

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate the help!