Thread: Robert E. Howard's "Hyborian Age" in 3-D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aquilonia Empire was representation of Roman Empire so I might place that in corrispondence of Italy .
    Koth and Stygia Egypt , Cimmeria France or Britain .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Aquilonia Empire was representation of Roman Empire so I might place that in corrispondence of Italy .
    I admit I'm not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the Hyborian Age, but I thought Nemedia was "Rome". Of course, the Aquilonian/Pict conflict could be seen as mirroring the Roman one, too. Either way, if there are quotations to back it up, it's a worthy candidate for inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by karvis View Post
    Like in the image above, the Pyrenees (real world) are on the same region as Poitanian mountains (HA)
    In such a case, the actual mountains could, perhaps, be used as a heightmap for the fictional ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    BTW, are you aware of the REHupa website and the REH Forum? Those would be good places to look for more information.
    Yes, I am aware of those. Personally, I prefer a conversation so that I can absorb and colate the information, and bounce ideas back and forth instantaneously. (And the REHUPA is one of those that failed to respond to my telephone inquiry, prompting me to pitch the idea to this public forum, which to me is a far more uncomfortable and counterintuitive venue than I wanted to start out in.)

The Rome analogue of THA, in my opinion if there is one, is the empire of Acheron.
    Or maybe it was that.

Some think that Aquilonia's capital Tamar/Tarantia (Howard used two different names without explanation, that's one map makers dilemma right there) is named after Hill of Tara.
    I've read that Conan moved the capital (as opposed to renaming it), but that may just have been someone's hypothesis. But at least we have a fixed location for Tarantia, according to REH's map.
    Last edited by Y6oSWske; 07-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.