Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for critques

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Great artwork. I like the configuration of the land and I think your labeling is very good too. I think sea and land are perfectly discernible, although coastal hatching or a dot/wave pattern in the sea would probably be an improvement.

It's a pitty though, that the rivers are so off. Mountain placement, on the other hand, is just fine.
    I'm with Diamond on his critique, but it seems you already understand that. So let's take this one for the visible impact, and the next one will be even better.
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head- I'm working on a second one at the moment, and keeping a close eye on details a little more

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vidgange View Post
    Colours would surely help! But on the other hand, that map is just so beautiful in black and white that I almost don't want colour added ^^
    Thanks for that! I've colored em before, and sometimes it works but other times there is so much pencil lead on the paper it just smears into the coloring

Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    Wow, very nice and obviously a lot of work has gone into this! Have you considered picking up a digital application and trying to replicate this on the computer?
    I actually really have, but I've been without a computer for almost a year now. As soon as I pick one up, I'm hoping starting! Imagining what I could do, especially after I see examples on here makes me super excited

Blog Entries

like it and it looks great
    i can not draw anymore - by hand , do to a broken neck in 1989

so i normally do not comment to much , unless i like it

the mountain hugging rivers stand out to me and the one in the south has a second one merging oddly ???
    -- in RED
    the one in the north ( BLUE) looks to be going up hill in one part and on a slope for the rest

--- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Novice

Hi there,

I really like the mixed pen and pencil. It adds some lovely shade to the otherwise hard lines. I've had a go at mixing pen and pencil in the past, and the results sometimes can work out really well on a map.

A few other people have mentioned that the rivers don't (quite) seem to make sense. Rivers very seldom have multiple mouths, and if they do it tends to be an esturine area all sort of lumped together.

The other thing that jumps out as me is the ratio of the number of named regions and cities gives the impression of city states or warring petty kingdoms, small factional areas. That might just be an illusion of not putting in every minor town, but that's just the feeling I had off the map.

Great work

Chris

I've made a few suggestions to your rivers, I hope you don't mind. Now, I'm no expert about the flow of rivers, mind you, I've just drawn simple lines in Paint (guuuh, tell me about it! Sadly, I don't have PS on this computer) where I think it's plausible for rivers to flow and at the same time keep your current rivers as intact as possible.
    ArkosMap.jpg
    The blue ring up in the north is my way of drawing your attention to the fact that you could probably let the river either flow to the West or to the South, but unless there's a man made channel up there, the river probably wouldn't divide itself that way.
    The Red lines is me erasing a part of a river and the Green lines is my suggestions of how the river could flow.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and there's probably people around here that knows a ton more than me about this sort of things that could chip in here. What do the rest of you lot have to say about my suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12