Thread: Commission: Oshetavalen

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Map Commission: Oshetavalen

Hi guys,

This was a map commissioned by fantasy author Fiona Skye. Her novel is still in the works, so this map will hopefully help her to more easily visualize her world.

commission__oshetavalen_by_cirias-d9dkeob.jpg

All work was done in GIMP. Still working to improve my "traditional"/B&W mapping skills so would be good to hear your feedback.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    James

This is very pretty and I like it a lot. It would have been nicer to see a slightly larger version to really look at the detail!

I think you have a small issue with your rivers. It looks like a river splits at Fruitvale? Aside from that, my only other suggestion would be perhaps to add a few ripples or a boat or something in the sea area. It looks awfully blank and empty towards the top left.

But overall, I really like this. Will rep if I can.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is very pretty and I like it a lot. It would have been nicer to see a slightly larger version to really look at the detail!

I think you have a small issue with your rivers. It looks like a river splits at Fruitvale? Aside from that, my only other suggestion would be perhaps to add a few ripples or a boat or something in the sea area. It looks awfully blank and empty towards the top left.

But overall, I really like this. Will rep if I can.
    Cheers

Unfortunately the rivers are the usual case of client's wants vs. realistic physics. I do try to advise and make everything fit properly where I can, but Fruitvale needed that multi-split river.

I do tend to have an issue with empty looking seas on these B&W maps. I don't hand-draw much of my stuff as I'm not the greatest drawer, but saying that I may break out the graphics tablet and have a go at some basic brushes for extra details in these maps.

Appreciate your comments and thanks for the rep!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The map looks good though I'm wondering what dimensions it is : some labels looks small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    Cheers
    I do tend to have an issue with empty looking seas on these B&W maps.
    Empty space isn't always a bad thing on map. This said a simple frame all around the map edges (and moving the compass where's the larger room) will help to break the emptyness.

What Max said... I also think what kind of paper / composition with print changes the dynamic of black and white maps.

Max - I need to leech your knowledge of making map borders. That border for the Mageborn map recently was gorgeous

Thanks again everyone for the great comments and rep

Very nice map Cirias! I really like the land shape (kinda makes me think of an inclined ireland somehow).
    A frame would have been a plus indeed, but that's no big deal. And the mountains are maybe a bit dark compared to the other elements.

Nice map! It's very well done