Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I checked it and it's mostly good except some point. Yet, I could be wrong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascanius Jantemp copie.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	78984
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascanius Jultemp copie.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	78985

Color code:
    Blue is colder
    Dark blue is 2 categories colder
    Red is hotter, same principle

Summer changes:

• Made the south west coast hotter (like California)
    • North West, large landmass can be quite hot, but less so on the coast
    • The same is true for the east, where the coast is cooler but interior hotter
    • Hotter central sea because semi closed bodies of water accumulate more heat
    • Eastern tip, influence of the cold current is more limited

Winter
    • Made the south west hotter but the center colder since large landmasses are cooling more than the oceans
    • North West is colder
    • Interior seas are colder, at this latitude, the water receive less energy and these seas are covered with ice. And most of these seas have little heat exchange with the oceans
    • About the pole, the pole is a dot in reality, yet here it is represented as a line. It needs to be of the same color (namely blue). It does look odd considering the area the south of the pole is actually colder but that’s a trick from the projection. Okhotsk sea, even covered with ice the temperature is moderated by the flow of water from the Pacific. About the pole, the pole is a dot in reality, yet here it is represented as a line. It needs to be of the same color (namely blue). It does look odd considering the area the south of the pole is actually colder but that’s a trick from the projection.

Other than that, my precipitation model is nearly finished. I just need to sort out 2 or 3 things.

The most problematic is my little understanding behind the Eastern Asia winter monsoon. I know there is a large anticyclone (Siberian High) rotating clockwise, pushing the cold air to southern China and possibly beyond.

So there is a sharp gradient of temperature north /south. I got this but it's not the only place there is one.
    There is apparently a semi-stationary front over central china in the winter months. This cold front brings cloudy and rainy conditions. This is caused by the mixing of cold dry air from the north and the hot moist air of the Pacific.
    It is close to the tropic, so the westerlies are probably weaker.

That is how I understood it. Am I missing something?
    One thing that I'm not sure I understand is how the air from the Pacific is able to travel that far inland.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-11-2016 at 07:44 PM.