Thread: Cracks in reality

Guild Novice

Default Cracks in reality

Hello everyone, my name is Jason, I've had an obsession with maps since I was a child. Somehow I'm just now realizing the amazing community you have here.

I definitely don't have any original work worthy of viewing right now but I do work in a 100 year old manufacturing facility.

The only reason I mention this fact is because this company pays tons of money to paint these old concrete floors with sealant multiple times a year.

While walking around work all evening I am treated to many many continent sizes and shapes. I've begun to give them each some history but maybe that will be for another post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's actually really cool.
    Welcome to the guild. Have you made a post in member introductions yet? If not you may consider doing so at: https://www.cartographersguild.com/f...splay.php?f=53
    All men are inevitably driven to their fate, one of the few things all have in common, no mater the circumstances of the birth.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Wow, that's actually really cool.
    Welcome to the guild. Have you made a post in member introductions yet? If not you may consider doing so at: https://www.cartographersguild.com/f...splay.php?f=53
    I have not introduced myself there yet. I suppose this could've been there. Apologies.

I'll run over and introduce myself asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jasa, this is a great way to get land shapes. I have done it too, often from stains on bar cloths though. I'm sure I have a load of photographs on my phone that I have forgotten about but just snapped there and then.

Guild Applicant

Praise

Wow! Those are actually really good bases. Using a photo editor im sure one could even start with just those pictures

Guild Journeyer

I'm never going to look at peeling paint the same way again. Thanks

Nice, I do the same thing with floor tile.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You have inspired me to try dropping paint from a great height onto canvases of various angles to see what I can come up with - cracks in reverse

I just hope the guy downstairs doesn't stick his head out of the window at the wrong time!

Those are great! I can't tell you how many reference photos of floors and walls and rocks with such inspirations I have tucked around in my hard drive and camera, etc.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You have inspired me to try dropping paint from a great height onto canvases of various angles to see what I can come up with - cracks in reverse

I just hope the guy downstairs doesn't stick his head out of the window at the wrong time!
    You can make a living at it, if you are lucky. I went to grade school with this artist's son. She had a two story studio and a large concrete pad just outside it where she would place her canvas' and paint from her roof. Does other stuff as well.