Thread: Aalder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lots of terrain tweaks. Also is a tweak that I have used in the past, and am resurrecting, for mountains. Using the tablet (you could use the mouse combined with the smudge tool for tapering the ends) I draw some ridge lines then emboss them. The emboss is set to soft light and multiply, 40 pixels, with a contour of Gaussian (not gloss contour). Then set the layer's fill at 50% and opacity at 75%. The second image shows what it looks like on a 50% gray background. I changed my roads to look like wagon tracks and added some shadows for the cities. Might need to go a skosh more on toning down the aqua color around the coast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ascension; 10-26-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking pretty good. I like the ridgeline technique. Your city icons are cool...even though they're pretty simple I think they look nice. Agree that the forests are a bit hard to read as such. This reminds me (palette, shape) of a "painterly" map I just saw somewhere...maybe as an example in the request forum or something. I liked that map, so that's a good thing
    M

[edit]Repped...in appreciation for your constant search for new, cool styles[/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.