Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, the launch went really well. Unfortunately things haven't been so rosy since then. They had a massive helium leak that meant that the magnets warmed up by around 100 degrees and stopped being superconducting. That lead to a small explosion in the tunnel. Nothing too serious thankfully, but it means it needs to be slowly warmed up (takes a few weeks), checked and fixed and then cooled back down again. They won't get it cold again until the scheduled winter shutdown so no more particles in the pipe until the spring restart at full energy. It shouldn't affect anything as spring was the scheduled start of the full energy beam anyway, but it is an unfortunate turn of events.

I almost missed it in the news as I was away getting married. Now that is done, all I have is the small issue of moving country before I am a regular on the boards again. Here's looking forward to a good October! (No one's got a spare flat in NYC they just happen to need to let do they? )

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I almost missed it in the news as I was away getting married. Now that is done, all I have is the small issue of moving country before I am a regular on the boards again. Here's looking forward to a good October! (No one's got a spare flat in NYC they just happen to need to let do they? )

Congratulations! Looking forward to you being stateside.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I saw a headline about this the other day and had to do some serious digging in order to retrieve it. Bit o humor that I thought was pretty funny.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/09/s...l-smasher.html
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very good. More squirrels should be collided at high speeds.

I made it to the US! I'm now in my shiny new office at NYU and settling in nicely. All I need now is an apartment and I'll be golden. Hopefully that will be nailed by the end of the week.

Welcome to the States!

Hm... your location says you in the south of England.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Fixed. Unfortunately changing the CG location was not high enough on my to do list Never again.

Hm... but you could just be saying you are in NYC, but not actually there so as to throw off your pursuers.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That is awesome! I'm putting that pic on my work station...although I'm probably the only one who will understand it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That's hilarious, Drazi!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast