Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breylon regional map WIP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you :-)

Are the hills and mountains your own work or did you use brushes?

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Are the hills and mountains your own work or did you use brushes?
    They are my own, hand-drawn in PS with a pen & tablet. Some of the hills have been copied around (I made 10 unique ones) and I will probably make them into brushes (I haven't played around with that yet). For the mountains I will need a lot more variants, but in the end I will probably do some copy/paste with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 999ups View Post
    They are my own, hand-drawn in PS with a pen & tablet. Some of the hills have been copied around (I made 10 unique ones) and I will probably make them into brushes (I haven't played around with that yet). For the mountains I will need a lot more variants, but in the end I will probably do some copy/paste with them as well.
    Great job then... and perfect for expanding the map. I know that there are some great brush sets out there, but in my view only by doing this stuff for yourself can you reach the consistency that I think is so important for a well done hand drawn look.

In this case I was asking for a certain reason: the way you placed your hills in the current WIP - all lonely and scattered - gives more the impression of a bunch of mounds or barrows. I was wondering if you were going to do some lines of hills, in the way you did your mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Great job then... and perfect for expanding the map. I know that there are some great brush sets out there, but in my view only by doing this stuff for yourself can you reach the consistency that I think is so important for a well done hand drawn look.

In this case I was asking for a certain reason: the way you placed your hills in the current WIP - all lonely and scattered - gives more the impression of a bunch of mounds or barrows. I was wondering if you were going to do some lines of hills, in the way you did your mountains.
    Thanks. Good point on the hills, but I'm not sure how to make them seem more like "hilly" regions, without making them cover to much area for my liking. Maybe I should figure out another symbol for low rolling hills and use the one I have for foothills.

This is looking nice so far!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Guild Novice

Nicely done, coastline looks great, all you need is some more textures/detail to the land and it will look awesome.

Thanks guys. I'm a bit stuck at the moment as I can't quite figure out how I actually want the end result to look. On the one hand I like my hills and mountains, but with the width of the range, it is becoming a bit of a mess with the way I draw them. At the same time, I am not sure a similar side-view look, will fit other elements like forests. I am slowly looking through the Guild gallery to find inspiration and in the meantime I am getting along with my Silvershore town map WIP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12