Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] "Proudly" presenting Westfall

Mark, I mentioned above that I tried to upload directly to the forum and it failed repeatedly, so I gave up and used a link to Drive. I'll try again later (I'm pretty busy tonight), but you can, in the meantime look at the one syris posted. It's exactly the same except that he lightened the interior of the continent.

Stephen has a good point there...once everything is all dialed in, the continent might stand out a bit more all on its own.
    Another idea I had is maybe putting a light "cross hatching" style outline around your hard edges...it could retain the pen look while still deepening the contrast between land and sea...

I may try that. My plan was to use the "wavy lines" style I've seen on these boards (almost like literal waves around the coastline). I'll play with it and see what looks better. As for the lightening, I'll try it without first and see how well it reads. My number once concern is that it read well and look good. Second priority is keeping the "ink on parchment" style believable.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (or if it's on my end), but I can't upload the image directly myself. I've tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, FireFox and IE) using the both the "embed image" and the "attachments" buttons and no dice. It seems to upload fine - all the way to 100% - then the upload dialog goes away and nothing has changed.

Still failing miserably to upload to the site. I even tried to add it to an album. No success.

Anyway, if anybody is willing to look at the file on Drive, here's my progress so far...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_X...it?usp=sharing

Definitely easier to tell land vs water now that the inland region is less sparse...at a glance it looks like it's coming along quite nicely...

Thanks, syris. I also darkened up the coast considerably. The tut I followed to "fractalize" the coast left it awfully thin, so I printed it out and went over it with a pen. I don't know how to thicken a line in GIMP :\

If your coast line is its own layer, then look up a tutorial on "stroke to path" in gimp...should help thicken the line...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12