Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Globe of Elyden (yes, again!)

Oh how I love this.

By the way, considering the size of the planet, I am estimating that the continent of Sammaea is actually bigger than all of Earth's continents put together. That's pretty big.

Guild Artisan

There must be a typo in the atmospheric pressure. Earth on sea level is 1 000 milibars so as we have here the same gravity and similar temperatures as on Earth, it can't be 33 milibars but something very close to Earth.

Also the power symbol is missing for the mass (10^25).
    The average density is very low at 3700 kg/m^3 what is approximately the average density of surface material on Earth.
    Considering that there is much less water in proportion to continents compared to earth, there can be no high density material Inside and no iron core. So no magnetic field and probably no tectonics.
    Life would be hard there.

Holy hell! That looks like a whole lot of work man. Glad you were the one doing it and not me. Seriously, lovely work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

This is just awesome. I love the historical tidbits and information about the world and such. Excellently designed and executed, fantastic!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soixante View Post
    By the way, considering the size of the planet, I am estimating that the continent of Sammaea is actually bigger than all of Earth's continents put together. That's pretty big.
    Yep, it's much larger and though i havent calculated it, i reckon that continent alone is around the total surface area of earth, give or take a bit (or a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    There must be a typo in the atmospheric pressure. Earth on sea level is 1 000 milibars so as we have here the same gravity and similar temperatures as on Earth, it can't be 33 milibars but something very close to Earth.

Also the power symbol is missing for the mass (10^25).
    The average density is very low at 3700 kg/m^3 what is approximately the average density of surface material on Earth.
    Considering that there is much less water in proportion to continents compared to earth, there can be no high density material Inside and no iron core. So no magnetic field and probably no tectonics.
    Life would be hard there.
    You're a better man than I for knowing all that! I am in the difficult place of wanting to be as accurate as possible while also adhering to the true mythological creation of the world, as in the world of Elyden was actually created by gods. I've determined that plate tectonics don't really exist on Elyden (hence my normal adherence to continental drift, subduction, induction zones etc. in maps is not really apparent in the Elyden maps), though I wanted things like density and mass to be as accurate as possible given the fantasy elements of the world.

There are two primal elemental forces known as the atramenta and the firmament which affect the laws of physics which may interact with certain elements to create a world that is more earth-like (or, 'magic did it!', as the trope is normally known!) though that's probably not strong worldbuilding. can you offer any ways of fiddling with the physical properties to get something that's more earth-like (obviosuly gravity needs to be the same, despite the size increase, so i went for a lower density. bad idea?)

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Holy hell! That looks like a whole lot of work man. Glad you were the one doing it and not me. Seriously, lovely work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    This is just awesome. I love the historical tidbits and information about the world and such. Excellently designed and executed, fantastic!
    thanks a lot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12