Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgotten Realms - Thar - Commission

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

I have to agree. Though the copy is a good one and I don't have issues with the creation of inspired works as fan art, sale of a piece like this would absolutely infringe on the copyright that WotC holds.

Creation is fine, wholesale duplication and commercial profit is not.

That's why I don't create and sell unauthorized maps of the Forgotten Realms. Even though they would be popular.

I work closely with Wizards and the only prints of D&D maps I sell to fans are ones I've been specifically contracted by them to make. Because of my contract, I am allowed to sell copies of the work I do for them but you won't ever see me selling unauthorized maps based on their (or anyone else's) intellectual property.

Again, making replications is fine, just don't sell them. Particularly where the copyright holder is a potential client like WotC. Otherwise, legal consequences and reputation hits might be hard to recover from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Derek Von Zarovich's Avatar

Thanks everybody for your nice comments, criticism and suggestions. I must say that this map is clearly inspired in the map posted before, the original illustrator is Mike Schley. His work inspired my reproduction of this part of the realms and I could go as far as call it a remake.

I have spoken directly with Mike Schley about this situation and we are in good terms, I won't be selling this illustration or profit from it in any other way, it will remain fan-made content for non-commercial use. He's an awesome person by the way.

Again, thanks to everyone, specially Mike himself for being such nice people.
    I'm the owner of www.elventower.com, I spend my time writing DM tips and guides for my website and drawing all kinds of maps to share them online.

I also crowdsource my work here www.patreon.com/elventower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12