Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Copyright protection

My private album, to be precise, which means the only reason you could see it is because you just happen to be a CL. It wouldn't work for anyone who wasn't me, one of my friends, or CL or admin.

That makes me feel slightly better.

Thanks

What does it look like when you're not logged into the guild Mouse?

I just got this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Selection_018.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	91606
    Last edited by Straf; 01-21-2017 at 09:16 PM.

I know that you must be logged in to see the image content of album links, so that is a level of protection. Then the members can also lock their albums down even further.

The image is cached by pintrist servers in a small(ish) format(ie, not originral high res version)

What kind of text is available on each album page link? Is there a spot for a gigantic copyright notice artists can post so that it's in your face for users who click the link?

I see the attribution and comments and stuff, but it's all BELOW the image and people who click the links may not easily see.... Can we change the album template page so that the map name, comment's and such are at the TOP and much, much much larger?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Mouse - when did you make it private?
    Was it after you added Bloodrock to the album, by any chance?

That's what most people would see if they tried to access any of the private albums whether they are logged on or not. You can only see it normally because you are one of my friends.

I will over the next couple of days be replacing all the images in my private albums with ones that have been properly marked. Then it won't matter if they get pinned a thousand times over, because every one of them will have my name on it.

ChickPea is right. Its the lack of attribution that's like a hard slap in the face from my point of view, so I'll put that right from my end of the deal.

EDIT: ninja'd by John... and jfrazierjr!

It was public for about two months until just recently, when I made it private again last week after finding Ethran on Pinterest without any credit or mark. I added Bloodrock some time ago now, so it was there when the album was public.

EDIT 2: I replaced all my unmarked maps with marked ones last night and turned the folder public again. This time, if and when they get pinned people who click on them will at least get to see my name and how to contact me. However - doing this has rendered all the existing Pinterest links to the maps that were in my albums null and void - including the one that John posted earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-22-2017 at 10:58 AM.

I have a different question about copyright. I just started my freelance work as a cartographer and probably as everyone else at the beginning struggle about how much charge for a map. I already read many threads about that. My question is about a copyright though.

Can some good sould explain me, if the client dosen't need a copyright, it means i can sell that map to others too ? Or not?
    Also is there some rule +how much you charge if client need a copyright?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Ask more...way more.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Ask more...way more.
    Yeah I generally ask twice my normal rate if the customer wants me to hand over the copyright, and I've heard higher ratios too.

For a little extra I also provide them with the full source file with all the layers etc, while typical customers only get a flattened image (in whichever format they desire, even PSD because why not if it's flattened!). The only thing I ask is the right to publish the map on my portfolios (here, DeviantArt and my personal website).
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I guess it's really different when a client comes to you than when you chase after them. The fee I ask when they need full copyright aren't always to the client's liking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I have a different question about copyright. I just started my freelance work as a cartographer and probably as everyone else at the beginning struggle about how much charge for a map. I already read many threads about that. My question is about a copyright though.

Can some good sould explain me, if the client dosen't need a copyright, it means i can sell that map to others too ? Or not?
    IANAL and this is just a summary of my understanding of how things work, not advice to any particular action. If you are unsure, talk to a lawyer.

There may be overlapping copyrights. If you derived the work from something they gave you (a crude map, a text description, etc) then what you made is a derivative of their work so even if you hold copyright, their copyright to the original work also restricts the distribution of the derivative. So my understanding is that you would only be able to distribute it if they just paid you to make a map and didn't specify the content enough for that specification to be subject to copyright (this could be a very murky grey area), if they gave you license to do so, or if they gave you the copyright to any contribution they made.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast