Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Mintarn, Sacred Island of Fey

I like the design you have around the circular insets along the bottom. It's simple, but very clean and effective.
    Last edited by jshoer; 02-23-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Hi Adfor!

The framing is starting to look nice, but I have some advice for your future works: leave a bit of empty paper margin. It will be easier to draw, and you won't have to deal with how awkward it usually is to draw close to the edge. Also you then don't have to worry if the edge gets uneven somehow, corners bend, etc. Paper can be so uncooperative at times. If you tend to forget about stuff like that while drawing, you can always use some masking tape while sketching the whole thing, then remove it when it's time to ink things. Or draw the margin in light pencil.

I hope this helps (in the future).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I like the design you have around the circular insets along the bottom. It's simple, but very clean and effective.
    Thanks! Glad you like it. I wanted to use the spiral-esque design somewhere other than the pillar, that's what I ended up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Adfor!

The framing is starting to look nice, but I have some advice for your future works: leave a bit of empty paper margin. It will be easier to draw, and you won't have to deal with how awkward it usually is to draw close to the edge. Also you then don't have to worry if the edge gets uneven somehow, corners bend, etc. Paper can be so uncooperative at times. If you tend to forget about stuff like that while drawing, you can always use some masking tape while sketching the whole thing, then remove it when it's time to ink things. Or draw the margin in light pencil.

I hope this helps (in the future).
    Absolutely, I'm going to end up doing that for future works, it certainly would alleviate a lot of the issues I've been having with this one.

IMG_20210226_125155159.jpg

I've been busy, both at work, and with this map, but progress! The side piece is 95% done, I'm still brainstorming for the face I want to put in that space. I moved on to coloring the land, now that I know the colors for the fungi in the Fenwards.

Overall, really stoked with how it's turning out, but I'm a littled eeeeeked with my work schedule, and how much I have left to do. It'll be a time crunch as per usual I guess, we'll see what happens.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-26-2021 at 05:42 PM.

IMG_20210226_162116578~2.jpg

Mini update, got the land all colored, time to focus on finishing the bottom rung.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-28-2021 at 10:33 PM.

This is looking really good Adfor, and good luck getting it finished on time.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking really good Adfor, and good luck getting it finished on time.
    Thanks bud, but I regret to inform you that I have run out of time.

### Latest WIP ###
    IMG_20210228_211519291~2.jpg

It was good run. I swear, February being a short month really cut this off at the legs when it was getting a stride. If I had my day off tomorrow and maybe another day, I could definitely have finished. But alas, there is far too much left to be done, and my work schedule didn't allow enough free time to get at it.

On a positive note, the title turned out better than expected, and gives it a sense of completion, at least. I'm going to set this aside for a bit and return after I've ruminated on some ideas. This is turning out to be a culprit for developing an entire campaign module around. I think it deserves some deeper thought than a rushed job to possibly win a golden compass, though it saddens me that I couldn't make the deadline.

Consider the towl thrown in.

IR

Ooh, that is some awesome lettering you have on the banner!

I hope you keep working on this. It will be fun to see when it's finished.

That's too bad about the deadline, even though the challenge seems to be closing late. I hope you'll post a finished version later in another thread.

Ooh, this is so cool! Hope to see it completed soon.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234