Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Middle-Earth

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Thanks for the tut! Carni! It's looking perfect. I can't decide whether the labels are too dominant (or whether they are actually better that way) or if some should be in all caps and others in initial caps. But as I said, it's pretty much the best map of ME I've ever seen.
    It's easy to tune the labels. Guess i could try it when i get back in the weekend.

Although I'm not usually a huge fan of bevels, I like the labelling here. I think it works well with the style of map, and it's very clear and legible.

One little thing... it might just be the different backgrounds that are throwing me off, but it looks like the label for Rhovanion is slightly more transparent than Eriador. Shouldn't those be the same?

The border is utterly fantastic!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Although I'm not usually a huge fan of bevels, I like the labelling here. I think it works well with the style of map, and it's very clear and legible.

One little thing... it might just be the different backgrounds that are throwing me off, but it looks like the label for Rhovanion is slightly more transparent than Eriador. Shouldn't those be the same?

The border is utterly fantastic!
    Well spotted
    All of the big labels have different transparency. I have adjusted them to fit the background etc. Looks strange? Do you you think the labeling gets in the way of the map?

And if photoshop beveling was good enough for lotr movie titles it is good enough for me
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-22-2016 at 05:50 PM.

The Rhovanion label was the only one that looked different to me, because it wasn't as solid as the others.

Having looked a bit closer after reading Ravells' comments about all caps vs small caps, I think there might be a few inconsistencies with some of your labels. For instance, the Brandywine & Anduin rivers have small caps (with a capitalized first letter), whereas the Bruinen & Lhun are all caps (all letters are the same size). Similar situation with Old Forest vs Fangorn, and Moria Gate vs Black Gate. I think there are a few others too. I'm not sure if some places are being given a different level of priority within the map, or if it's just a little boo-boo!

And yes to the bevel on the movie title! It looked fantastic there. I'm not completely against bevels, as they work really well sometimes (like here!) but they can be overused.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    The Rhovanion label was the only one that looked different to me, because it wasn't as solid as the others.

Having looked a bit closer after reading Ravells' comments about all caps vs small caps, I think there might be a few inconsistencies with some of your labels. For instance, the Brandywine & Anduin rivers have small caps (with a capitalized first letter), whereas the Bruinen & Lhun are all caps (all letters are the same size). Similar situation with Old Forest vs Fangorn, and Moria Gate vs Black Gate. I think there are a few others too. I'm not sure if some places are being given a different level of priority within the map, or if it's just a little boo-boo!

And yes to the bevel on the movie title! It looked fantastic there. I'm not completely against bevels, as they work really well sometimes (like here!) but they can be overused.
    Thanks for the comments peachick... Your eyes are good
    I will fix so it will look consistent.
    I knew about the different "small caps" issues. I was hoping to fix them before anyone spotted them (and really easy to fix - just change the paragraph style).
    I will also make the small labels a bit smaller - but probably make some labels, like Isengard a bit bigger. The size is dependant on the size and importance of the place - that's my thought anyway

Anything else?
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-22-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to make some of the labels (like Isengard) a bit larger, and the places that are barely mentioned in the books could certainly be shrunk a little. I think your labels only need some fine-tuning to make everything consistent. Aside from that, it looks great.

Ok.. A zoomed WIP snapshot at 100%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle-earth_13c_zoom.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	667.8 KB 
ID:	80688

latest version of the middle-earth map. Many small changes. Went through all the labels. Some minor color adjustments. etc etc.

Comments warmly welcome

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle-earth_13b-50.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	80690
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-26-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Very cool, thanks for the tutorial. It should work in Gimp too I'd imagine.

Guild Journeyer

Looks incredible. I really like the adjusted coloring. Gets rid of my one big forest impression. Though I will say you could consider (just consider, because I'm not sure it needs it or I would like it better) making the forests themselves a darker/richer green.

I didn't look at labeling consistency since others commented and you're aware of that (might even no longer be an issue). I will say that overall I really like the labeling impression. I can see the land, and I can find the labels visually when I'm looking for them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast