Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Untitled Campaign Map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nearly there! Farmlands are marked out, woohoo, and I just have to add in an oasis or 3 and set up the delta for the desert river.

Then I can start on the fun stuff - but I've already started on that. I tested some overlay ideas to smooth the palette out a bit. I'll likely change the pattern itself (use one of my scanned parchments - right now i'm using some of my satellite desert and scrub textures) but I'm likeing the direction it's going.

I'll probably desaturate the fields a bit too, the hue got intensified by the overlay.

Also I'm on a new course of meds for my back now, so if anything seems way off and I don't seem to notice, feel free to let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scaleda..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	22553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scaled..jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	22554  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Desert done! Scale and compass rose placed, overlays finalized, going to add borders next, just need to play around with it a bit.

Almost done! Now I just need to find out what else is needed, and make sure I'm not missing anything

Views:	59 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	22565   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	66 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	22566  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 03-04-2010 at 09:53 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip

Well then, it feels good to look at something and say I'm ready to call it complete.

Pending further requests from the client, here goes nothing.

I'm posting a 50% sized version on here for perusal. It can be seen in it's full glory on my deviantart page in the scrapbook section.

I know a map is a map, but once I put the border on, it slapped me upside the head that's what it was missing this whole time. Usually I do the border near the beginning, it helps set the tone for the map for me. This time I actually left it nearly to the last, silly me I had to redo the artistic bits to match the border this time, instead of the other way round. Ahwell, it was worth it!

Views:	91 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	22581  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow, that's gorgeous.

My one note is that the lettering on the scale bar is a little tricky to read. Perhaps a little black in there would help.

I love the flourishes. Did you create the dragon and the compass from scratch? I'd love to know how you did those. Is it vector work?

Really really great, and 10 out of 10 for patience. It really shows.

Edit: You're going to hate me, but I have an issue with your farmland (/ducks). It's top down at the moment, with equal spacing top to bottom as right to left. That jars with your mountain, hill and tree styles which is beautifully isometric. To fit the farmland in you need to shrink it vertically by around 57%. That will make it iso.
    Last edited by torstan; 03-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work C-Max!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel General: thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Wow, that's gorgeous.

My one note is that the lettering on the scale bar is a little tricky to read. Perhaps a little black in there would help.

I love the flourishes. Did you create the dragon and the compass from scratch? I'd love to know how you did those. Is it vector work?

Really really great, and 10 out of 10 for patience. It really shows.

Edit: You're going to hate me, but I have an issue with your farmland (/ducks). It's top down at the moment, with equal spacing top to bottom as right to left. That jars with your mountain, hill and tree styles which is beautifully isometric. To fit the farmland in you need to shrink it vertically by around 57%. That will make it iso.
    You're right, I do hate you!
    Seriously though, thanks for pointing it out, there was something bothering me and I couldn't place it, the farmlands were it. Won't be too hard to update, actually, I just have to add 2 more steps to the process and redo it, might take an hour including all the experimenting I'll be likely to do.

I'm still not sure on wether I want the scale marker placed where it is, I thought it would be a neat idea to use the empty spaces in th border, but I think I'll move it up a bit into the central portion, that'll give me more room to work with.

The compass was pieced together from a few separate bits, those and the critter and border are all from the same place, actually. It was a bit of a blast from the past.. I'd gone through my cd collection looking for a few things, found some vector clipart cd's i'd procured back in the day and what do you know, I actually have a use for some of the stuff on them Wish I would have remembered them back when I was working on the first set of maps for AslanC, I'd spent days working on the borders and compasses for those maps!

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I was about to say - those bits of work looked suspiciously like days worth of work. I always do my borders and compass last and I'm never quite happy with them. These are a great example of what happens when you get them right.

Wip

Actually I streamlined the process for the fields quite a bit, suddenly they're just a layer on their own, and I did some transforms on the layer and masked everything off. And zomg thank you torstan for pointing it out - it was **just** what needed to happen.

*rep*

Anyhow, here's the final version, assuming the client doesn't hate it, or I missed something big and terrible

As before, uploading a detail crop of fullsize to show off the new fields, a 50% version for the site here, and a 100% version on deviantart (just re-uploading over the previous, people have already gone and favourited it and added it to collections, argh it wasn't finished! lol)

Views:	68 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	22591   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	101 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	22592  

My finished maps

Fabulous and beautiful!! I can't rep you. Apparently I rep you too much :p

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That "lion rampant" is awesome. Or is it "stag rampant"?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast