Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Road Battlemap

How are you creating them?

If its by hand, I would be tempted to use Fractal Terrains 3 for that kind of job, but I'm not terribly experienced in its use, other than as a source of convincing planetary land mass coastlines

I know that doesn't really help with the gas planets, but you could have most of those 13 taped in a matter of hours.

Honestly, the best solution for this would be to change the light source to be from the right and it just looks natural when you change the rocks and trees to accommodate.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm using a combination of several different tutorials, including one found here. Here are two I've done (although the one on the right has too much bright atmosphere on the night side; I may have to redo that). The one on the left is highly polluted.

planets.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Honestly, the best solution for this would be to change the light source to be from the right and it just looks natural when you change the rocks and trees to accommodate.
    Sorry, missed that, think you posted whilst I was doing the same. Yes, I think that's going to be the easiest option.

Had another go at the shadows again as a break from planets. The one on the left has no shadows; the one on the right a drop shadow on the bush and a hand drawn one on and around the rock.

shadowtest5.jpg

I think it might be improved if you move that shading within the rock much closer to the edge and make it follow the line of the edge - like the brown margin you have there already in the unshaded version. Take out the drop shadow and alter the relief shading a tad so that there is a clear change in angle in the slope that lies on the same line as the angle change in the rock.

I'm thinking a bit like this (sorry to have borrowed your image and reposted it, but I can't seem to describe it well enough)

shadowtest5.jpg

The shadow from the rock isn't actually a drop shadow - it's hand drawn - but you're suggesting to remove it completely? I think it might need heavier shadow on the left side of the rock, if perhaps not as wide, as I'm trying to give it the impression of sticking out of the hill.

I don't understand why you think it should have a shadow, when its facing the sun. The rock needs shading (which is not the same thing as a shadow) on the vertical face to indicate that it is vertical, rather than horizontal like the top of the stone, but it doesn't need an actual shadow, does it?
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.

I'd moved the global light so it comes from the top right. Finally thought to do a rough mockup in Blender (should have thought of that earlier, when I was talking about models!). Here's the slope and rock viewed from three directions; the sun is in approximately the same place as it is on the battlemap. The top down view if the one that would be seen on the battlemap; the others are for reference.

slope.jpg

Then the shading you have given it must be correct

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast