Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Big WIP Project - Neoseilthir

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The colors are much better in this version; they were quite jarring before. Still, it's the colors which keep turning me off -- they're a bit too ... um, primary? Can't really put my finger on it. All of the elements mesh together well, and all in all it's very well made. It's just the colors that keep striking me in an odd way.

Thanks Gidde. I think it might be because your eye is expecting black but the common colour used is actually supposed to be very close to "blue-black ink".

I'm also going to go through and hand-draw the city markers. As awesome as Ramah's markers are... they don't quite fit which means I need to do them by hand.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    I'm also going to go through and hand-draw the city markers. As awesome as Ramah's markers are... they don't quite fit which means I need to do them by hand.
    I think you are right to do this. I really like how you've taken some of the markers and added them together to make larger, more interesting ones. I hoped that someone might do such a thing and they look great. Except I agree and think they really look out of place on this map. You might try just tracing over them on a new layer. I think what makes them look wrong is that the some of the lines are a lot thinner and look more delicate than what you have used for your trees and mountains etc. Also, they have a white background that makes them stand out too much. If you traced them in your own hand with a similar colour, thickness of what you used for the trees they would probably fit in great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Ramah,
    Thanks for the vote of approval. Yeah I was hoping to avoid the extra drawing since there is already a number of other sections to adapt.

Any thoughts about the colour "glitch" that is happening with Gidde?
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

Another update... Decided to try reduce the "primary"-ness by putting in a masking layer to fade out the blue a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoseilthir.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	25759  
    Last edited by Steel General; 06-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.

My Lulu Store

Wow, yeah, Jugg, that made a HUGE difference.

Added a lot. Mainly the Cartouche... A couple of forests and a swamp.
    Attachment 25785
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoseilthir.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	25789  
    Last edited by Steel General; 06-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.

My Lulu Store

Hate to say it Jugg, but the ships don't really match You've got the map drawn in big bold lines and colors, and then in the seas are these delicately drawn ships. Which I really do hate saying because I *love* the ships.

That last attachment doesn't work for me but on the one previous it seems like the ships might just be overly large. Unless that's the look you are after? I will wait to see an updated attachment though. What I can see so far is looking real good though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah the catch with those ships is that I know I can't reliably draw them... and that's a problem. It means either: a) rebuild entire map to get in ships, b) somehow badly trace them and distort their shapes beyond belief (many of them are reduced from much larger images were the rest of the map was recently scaled up in size)... c) eeep?

My Lulu Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast